Does Fuji answer customer inquiries?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by bvy, Feb 16, 2017.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I submitted a concern with one of their products a couple weeks ago (via a form on their website), and I've gotten neither a confirmation nor a response. Is this typical? Kodak and Ilford have both been responsive the few times I've contacted them...

2. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems you're contacting them about film.

I have no experience with them about that. However, a few years ago I had an issue with their 23/1.4 lens for my X-Pro1 - it took a while to reach a person on the phone, but eventually I did.

I had to send the lens to them (east coast USA at the time) and contacted them again later for details (they are slow). Overall, they did respond eventually and the warranty repair was of good quality.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many years ago I wrote Fuji in Japan as a consumer inquiring about an accessory for their Minilabs, seemingly completely unknown in Germany.
    I got a very, very rude reply from a senior manager telling me not to bother him.
    And that is not the only experience in rudeness I had with Fuji.

I meanwhile learned my lesson and shall never inquire at them again.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. Berri

Berri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I sent an email to kodak alaris I never got an answer back. I just said to them that their website is broken and you can't navigate it to find any information. (it still is)

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. foc

foc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can I ask what e-mail address did you use and on what Fuji site. If you go to www.fujifilm.com then that's the global site, but it should prompt you to contact your own country's site. For example on the global site I have a pop-up telling me to visit Fujifilm Ireland website and it gives the web address.

I have had a similar problem as the OP, (not a photographic multi national but a large international software company ) and after repeated requests and a phone call it turned out (by their own admission) that one of the e-mail addresses advertised on their local site is not monitored at all, yet it issues an auto reply. It makes you wounder sometimes.

7. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting.
    Working professionals have almost weekly contact with Fujifilm. Speaking directly with Japan can be hit and miss (and their English is not too good!). I have had nothing but accommodating attention to my enquires here in Australia, the last (September 2016) being related to problems in sourcing Provia 100F (which turns out has nothing to do with Fujifilm, but further investigation revealing dealers refusing to kow-tow to the high prices requested of distributors — and that is not news).

As Foc said, contact your country's Fujifilm through the Contact Us page. Being a global, diversified company means that its offerings are a bit different from one market to the other.

It is probably true also that communication should go through Fujifilm's distributor for your region rather than direct to Fujifilm.

In a similar vein, I had good communication with Kodak Australia relating to backing paper transfer; this was further resolved when I "dropped in" on their palatial haunt in the suburbs. I was even served coffee and biskits!

8. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gary, the reason their English is not too good is because they are Japanese. How is your Japanese?

9. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    基本的会話の日本語。:smile:

I learnt quickly with my niece as tutor in Tokyo and Hokkaido last May. Returning again in September, long this time.

10. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am deeply impressed. Now back to our regular scheduled programming. :redface:

11. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All Japanese sentences end in a verb, right?

This one ends with a noun.

:D

PE

12. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps it was a translation issue and whoever wrote the reply was unaware of its rudeness.

Although I have had no direct experience with Fuji in Japan, I was under the impression that the Japanese are very polite in business matters, even if they are in strong disagreement.

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was no translation issue, because of its rudeness I even filed that letter. Yes I was surprised by that.
    But later experiences told me that there seems to be a strange attitude at that company completely contrary to what I experienced at competitors at that industry.

14. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had experiences in Tokyo last year with three established reputation camera shops where service was abrubt, rude and arrogant, to the point they were only interested in making a sale rather than a genuinely interactive customer experience. This is uncommon, but not unknown, and the last part of your statement holds very true, but that does not mean it holds universally. By and by, the further out of Tokyo one ventured, the less rudeness was encountered and many Japanese took a great deal of interest in our plans and knowing that we came from Australia. This is my personal experience, also witnessed by my niece.

15. OP
    bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was the country specific site, Fujifilm USA in my case. This is the link I used:
    http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportContactForm.do?catid=464128&prodcat=238390

16. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just for a different perspective, I have only had one contact with Fuji and even in their smokin-hot "X" digital camera business their customer service is poor. I had some technical questions about the X-T1 and the guy I spoke with in New Jersey seemed confused by the product he was ostensibly supporting. Every question I asked was greeted with a HUGE sigh, and a fumbling answer that made me feel like I was wasting his time. Someone told me that's NOT just Fuji; that's how everyone in New Jersey acts. Maybe Fuji thinks New Jersey is typical Americana and bases all their customer service on that paradigm? :smile:

17. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    how about calling their 800#
    1-800-800-3854

i used to call them often, not sure if this was the # i called though
    just the same i was able to find a person to forwarded me to a person
    who passed me up the food chain ( and 10 mins later ) i got to where i had to go.

might be worth using a phone rather than email ...

good luck

18. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I second the use of the phone. Might take awhile to get someone who can help you but in the end will probably take less time overall than trying to use email. When I was in the thick of things I use to get 200 to 300 emails a day. Not wanting to work 24 hours a day many got filed. Only the most important got attention right away. Depending on how much time I had left at the end of the day or beginning of the next some of the rest would get looked at.

The biggest problem I ran into was if people would just spend a couple of minutes and RTFM it would have reduced my email load by 80%. It's too easy for people to just fire off an email instead of looking it up themselves. Then they get pissy if you don't do their work for them.

Not suggesting this is the situation with the OP, just ranting in general.

19. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What were you actually asking?

I've had a bunch of dealings with Fuji (Via my Acros100 / Velvia50 4x5 and 8x10 group buys) what sort of questions did you have?