Does Kodak still make film? (Yes, they do)

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Chan Tran, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I think it still does but last Sat I stopped by a local shop and asked for some Kodak film and they said Kodak stopped making film 5 years ago and only selling what they have in stock. Isn't it true. He said he can not get any more Ektar or Portra. I think he didn't say the truth but I am not sure. What do you think?

2. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He was not telling the truth. Kodak still makes film. Sorry that you had to deal with this guy, I guess that this kind of misinformation is more and more common now.

-Tim

3. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The person in you local shop is an idiot. Probably just wanted to sell you digital camera rather than dealing with you and actually checking into ordering it for you. Yes, Kodak still makes film. They have C-41 and BW films but they no longer produce E-6 films

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    THe coating machines here are still running and turning out all of the films listed as still in production.

PE

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very sad to hear that such a dingus is allowed to work in a camera store. All they need to do is pick up the phone and order some for you. And, if you're a happy customer, you might come back, again and again, securing some nice orders for them in the future.

6. Ricus.stormfire

Ricus.stormfire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I've heard a similar story from a sales person regarding Ilford.....4 years ago......complain, that is the best you can do, because slapping an idiot in public is illegal.

7. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best to always check product availability with the manufacturer first. Sales people in photo stores never know anything about analog products. I've had people tell me all sorts of things are "discontinued" when in fact they are not. I've had this happen with Tri-X and Ilford DDX in the past year.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its hard to know what they are still making
    since they haven't advertised film in almost a decade ... or so it seems.

hopefully when they arise like the phenix from the ashes ..
    they will do better at advertising the products they make and sell.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    People in photographic stores these days only know from digital.

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did he then break into that marvellous song from "High Society" that goes: "Have you heard, it's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars"

1954/55 I think and I guarantee that Kodak were making film then :D

pentaxuser

P.S. we didn't collide with Mars either

11. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Seems unlikely, as Ektar 100 came out less than 5 years ago. Unless Kodak, having stopped making film, decided to make a brand new film, do a big run of it, then stop making again.

I won't say the shop worker is an idiot, he's just ignorant of the facts.

12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a shame because the shop is family owned and he is the son of the owner.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As a film shooter, I was often dismayed to find camera shops didn't stock film and were ignorant of what was available. Now, as the owner of a camera shop specializing in film photography, I understand the situation better. Most film makes very little profit and there is the real risk that the film will expire and you are stuck with it, erasing whatever profit you might have made in the first place. Unless a shop specializes in film photography, there is really no point in carrying it. Camera stores make MUCH MORE profit selling a lens cleaning cloth than they do on a roll of film, with much less risk and effort.

As a film photography speciality shop, we sell more film than a regular camera shop because we attract film photographers. The risk is reduced. We still don't make much money on roll film, but at least it moves and we are supporting our community of film photographers. There is another shop in town (Glass Key Photo) that is even more adventurous than we are in catering to the film community. They stock odd sizes like 127 and 620 (and 8mm movie film). Again, because they are a known source for film, they have a steady (if barely profitable) business.

Roll film seems to be an economic contradiction because it is scarce but has low margins. But it's not true because most film sales take place online. Internet giants like Amazon and B&H actually sell film online for less than what we pay to our wholesaler! I'm not complaining. This is just the world we (photographers and camera shops) live in, and there are good things and bad things about it. I myself buy film online if it's something I can't find locally. We just have to adapt.

My bottom-line message is that conventional camera stores can no longer be the center of the film photography community. They can't afford to be. If film photographers want a LOCAL source of information, support, encouragement, and (best of all) a supply of fresh film, find an independent camera shop or gallery or workspace or community arts center that shares the passion. Support them, buy from them, and spread the word.

I'll give you an example. I like to brew beer, but if I were to go into Beverages and More and ask for some Wyeast 1275 top-fermenting yeast I would get a strange look and maybe a call to security. But when I go to the tiny beer brewing shop on the outskirts of town, I get exactly what I want, some insider tips on how to use it, plus a big hug and a glass of beer.

16. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you only know what you know ... right :smile:

if no one buys film and paper at his store ( for the most part )
    and the distributer mainly brings in ilford, foma and fuji,
    and there is all the gloomy news about the bankruptcy ...
    and you don't know any better then it makes sense

i know if i wasn't involved in chemical based photography, i would probably think they were not making film either ...

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well most stores don't have film any way so I don't complain about them not having film. I am complaining the misinformation he gave me. He said Kodak stopped making film 5 years ago and only selling their stock. He emphasis this is year number 5 to the supply should be at the end now. Misinform customers is a very bad thing for business. If you only work there may be you don't care but it's almost his store too. He isn't just a cheaply paid employee.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  18. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah, that isn't good ..

19. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry I did not find you when in town visting last summer.

I did drop into Glass Key, gab for an hour, and restock on a 5 pack of Provia and a bunch of photo themed pins and fridge magnets.
    Plus browsing the records of Ricky's or whatever the used record store was called he is in was fun too.

Wierdly I found 2- makes 10L e-6 reversal bath bottles on clearance at Gassers for a few bucks, and they actually flew home ok in my luggage, and are working great
    On the other hand my wife's by of bbq sauce dissappeared en route.

So your shop will make destination #2 for next time I am in your part of the world. #1 is Green Apple used book stores.
    #3 is the used record store in the old bowling alley.

20. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's the name of your shop? I'll visit next time I'm in the Bay Area.

21. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He is an ignorant idiot, and if his family has him meeting the public, it may run in the family:tongue:

22. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    An ignorant idiot? Runs in the family? Really? Considering all the aforementioned difficulties of carrying film in a mom and pop camera store and the pitiful returns on selling it, I'm surprised that the sheer disproportion of your remark did not occur to you before you hit the "submit reply" button. I find it perplexing... Perhaps you thought you were being insightful?

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seen the discussion on Kodak's actual production at least here in Europe and the latest press releases indicating Kodak stock being substituted by another manufacturer, I would not blame any dealer to come to such conclusion.

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  25. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That song is "Well, Did You Evah!" by the immortal Cole Porter. Iggy Pop and Deborah Harry did a great remake of it on the charity 'Red, Hot + Blue' compilation in about 1991.

26. wiedzmin

wiedzmin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We would not have to guess or speculate if somebody from Kodak was willing to communicate at least 10% the way the Ilford does. How difficult or costly would be to have somebody from Kodak monitor forum like ours not even daily but 3 times per week and address all concerns? You can even create alerts using search engines which will notify you if your company name will be mentioned in certain context and react. It's just how they were and are doing business for many years. It is sad...