Does the Nikon N2020 AF support TTL flash

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Chan Tran, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Reading the manual I am under impression that it does but my camera doesn't work with TTL. It fires the flash at maximum power. I tried both the Nikon SB-15 and SB-16B as well as Sunpak PZ5000AF for Nikon and the Metz 60CT4 with the correct Nikon module. Anyone has an idea?

2. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work- perhaps the camera's TTL meter cell is dead?

3. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The manual does specifically define the those flash units and the supported TTL flash modes so it should work accordingly. I'm glad you brought this up as I was about to test it myself and found the batteries starting to show signs of corrosion so just in time for good cleaning and use!

4. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I read the manual more carefully; the N2020 only has one SPD diode, if it meters at all, that can't be broken (it's basically an F3 metering-wise). Flash contacts?- Can you test the TTL pin on the hot-shoe for voltage?

5. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Which one is the TTL pin and when it is supposed to have voltage?

6. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is a pretty good rundown of the interface: http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ttl-flash-interface

The TTL quench pin is the lower right hand pin if you are holding the camera with the back facing you, however, it won't function unless the camera detects a flash.

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you. I could make a test but I don't have the scope with me now. I am pretty sure that it's the camera fault. I got it free and the AF only works half way and now no ttl flash it's ok by me.

8. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Liam, Thanks for posting that website as it is is an excellent find! It looks like a breakout is needed to monitor those pins and perhaps an LED to the quench pin just to possibly see the line going to ground.