DOF-Calculator for BB anywhere?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ulrich Drolshagen, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

last weekend I got two new toys. A Wista DX which is borrowed to me to try it out (I have an option to buy it but I still have to find out whether LF really is my cup of tea) and a Blackberry.
    Now I am looking for a DOF-Calculator which gives an idea of exposure compensation for bellows extension too. I am looking for something like this
    http://www.erik-krause.de/schaerfe.htm. Any ideas out there?

Ulrich

2. jon.oman

jon.oman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Ulrich Drolshagen

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are called smartphone. Kind of a blend of a Pocket PC and a mobile phone. Java Applications can be modified to run on these devices as long as they fit into the memory. There exists merely thousands of those little helpers but the only DOF-calculator I could find is not available for download anymore.

Ulrich

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am still pondering how to turn my 'berry into a meter. It has a camera and such... should be possible. But I can't seem to find any references to what the native sensitivity of my berry camera is, nor how to disable auto-ISO.

Ulrich, why not simply email the DOF charts to your berry or store them as a note... or even as a background image.

5. Ulrich Drolshagen

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That would be nice too. Let me know if you find out.
    The solution is not that cool but I admit that at least it would work :wink:

I have still to find out how to configure the eMail download with my provider but discussing this topic here would be slightly OT, I suppose.

Ulrich

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just beware that starting email turns it from a Blackberry into a Crackberry.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Uh, yeah, not cool, not cool at all :wink:

9. pgomena

pgomena Member

I carry a little tape measure in my kit. Twice focal length is 2 stops compensation, 50% over focal length is 1 stop, the rest can be figured pretty simply as a ballpark estimate. It ain't rocket science.

Carrying an electronic device in the field that is any more complicated than a light meter runs counter to my enjoyment of traditional photography. I have a 3x5-inch notebook with exposure and reciprocity information for various films. No batteries, no calculations, and very quick to use. As long as I can read, think and type, its software is never out of date.

If I wanted to use a computer in the field, I'd use the type of camera that is not to be mentioned here.

Peter Gomena

10. Ulrich Drolshagen

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for your advice. Just printed some tables found in the link David gave.
    As for DOF-calculation I just want play with my new toy a little bit. I got a small spreadsheed calculator :smile:

Ulrich