1. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you don't know Don Worth's work-you should. A nice book listed on Ebay.
    I have nothing to with the sale but someone should add this to their library.
    Don Worth Photographs 1955-1985 Item#7531841231
    Best, Peter

2. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I like his work a lot, especially his botanicals. I have this book and some of his prints in my collection. As I understand it, Don actually started growing his own plants and then photographed them, these are not found objects or from a botanical garden. Photo West Gallery in Carmel just put out a new book of his work and it comes with a book\print combo.

http://www.photographywest.com/pages/worth_book_01.html

-Mike

3. rhphoto

rhphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don's printing is just absolutely flawless and beautiful. In a time when most printers were going with more and more contrast and ever deeper tones, Don's prints had a quiet scale of grays and an extremely believable contrast and clarity. I hold his work up to the best in the modern medium as one who developed a truly unique look.

4. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree... I have found his work to be truly outstanding. As I recall he taught himself how to print...at least that is what one article indicated. Some of his work exhibits very high local contrast while still maintaining overall contrast.

5. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Am I to assume that Mr. Worth is still alive? If so then Aggie should seek him out for Emulsion. It would truly make a collectors edition. And yes-he is one of THE great printers-bar none. I own that book for well over 20 years now and still go back to it. Shows what the photographic art(silver gelatin) is capapble of.
    Best, Peter Schrager

6. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ultimately we all teach ourselves. In Don Worth's case, however, being Ansel Adams' assistant for a few years probably didn't hurt anything.