don't know what it proves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by mr rusty, Apr 3, 2011.

1. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    but, yesterday myself and wife went on a "birds of prey" experience. 8 cameras in the group - 1 DSLR, 2 film SLRs inc me, 5 d*l compacts. There's hope yet!

2. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It proves that people still use film. My Maxxum 8000i looks like a digital camera from a distance. When I'm out shooting sometimes a person will look to see the LCD image I just shot. When they see there is no screen I have to explain it is a film camera. Then comes the puzzled looks.:laugh:

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get the same all the time when I am shooting my EOS 3...but strangely, I also get it from time to time when shooting a Nikon F or Canon F-1/FTb!

4. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even worse - I've actually used my EOS1 after shooting for ages on my 5DMkII, and the first couple of times I look for the viewscreen. :eek::redface:

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is funny! But understandable. Having gone the other way, starting on film, and only fairly recently getting used to digital – I got my 10D not long after the model came out in early 2003 – I practically never look at the screen when shooting digital. I do use the screen, but I usually wait till I reach a good stopping point rather than shoot-look, shoot-look, shoot-look. In studio shooting products, I do this because I do not want to have to set something up again because I shook the camera or slightly messed up focus or something else, but not out in the "real world." There, I think that paying attention to what is going on around you trumps worrying about the minute details of every shot. I feel weirdly out of touch and a bit disoriented when I chimp out "in nature." :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
  6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Much worse, I get it when I use my Pacemaker Speed Graphic!

7. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    i did that last weekend during a portrait shoot. the majority of frames were captured on my 5D; then when I switched to my FTb loaded with Tri-x, I looked at the back of the camera, and then, of course, so did the client (over my shoulder).

Gah!

8. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope you showed the Compact camera people just how easy a film camera is to use so that if they decide to upgrade to a camera that allows them more control they might consider a film SLR and not a DSLR.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The last time I used my Nikon D100 I found myself raising my thumb and trying to wind the film on!

Steve.