Don't know what to do, have a bunch of darkroom gear

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by vysk, Mar 6, 2010.

1. vysk

vysk Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello all.

I'm somewhat new here (but have lurked a bit).

I don't know what to do, but have a bunch of darkroom gear, some of it relatively high-end (e.g. Saunders LPL4500, Leitz Focomat IIc, Leitz Focomat V35).

The last time any of this was used was 9 years ago, but it has been all carefully stored in my upstairs room of the house.

I wish I could set up a permanent darkroom, but it isn't looking likely.

So - sell it? Keep it? Find someone to share it?

Any ideas?

Vick

2. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your stuff is pretty high end, so you probably don't want to just give it away. I just gave away my third set of darkroom equip to a young woman who wanted to start a darkroom. It was all old, clunky, serviceable stuff. I always hang on to old stuff to give away. I figure it's just my way of getting folks started back in the darkroom.

3. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Keep it

4. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't need the money and can store it, keep it. Can you use some of it to set up a part time darkroom in the bath, kitchen, laundry room?

5. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    keep the IIc and V35 or you'll regret it esp if the v35 has the mg module

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only you can answer THAT question.....

I'm sure you can find buyers for your gear if you want to sell them. Once you sell them, you aren't likely to find one just like it available. Are you going to miss them? Do you ever see yourself using them? Are you interested in using them? It doesn't take much to setup a temporary darkroom. Maybe see if you even want to do that??

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, what he said. Added most emphatically.

8. vysk

vysk Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oh, thanks all. Maybe that's what I need - moral support to keep the gear. I wish I'd win the lottery, then I'd build myself a darkroom.

9. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You don't need a whole lot to build a simple darkroom. Bathrooms and basements are great places. It is also not 100% Necessary to have running water in the darkroom......

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bring it out and use it :smile:.

I left a whole bunch of darkroom stuff stored with my parents for a long time because I thought that it was better to borrow darkroom space (on an infrequent basis) rather than make do with apartment bathrooms.

I was so wrong!

Take a look at the darkroom portraits thread, and you will see a whole bunch of bathroom darkrooms, including mine.

In the case of mine, it should be updated. I now have an Omega D6 4x5 enlarger on a cart.

Here's a link:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/10966-darkroom-portraits-66.html#post730908

Matt

11. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Vick,

Make prints. Have a good time.

Neal Wydra

12. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All one really needs are an electricity supply and a couple of tables. I actually don't even have two tables in the spare-bedroom (my 'darkroom') so I clamp a worktop on to one of those folding workbenches. Washing is done via an extra tray which gets walked through to the 'back-kitchen' / utility-room every now and then. It works out fine. You can produce stuff that will make you happy in minimal conditions, though a purpose made darkroom would be more comfortable if you work in it 60 hours a week for your livelihood obviously.

13. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    MartinP, it seems we have a similar setup.

Vick, I started out doing this because I came into some equipment that was being thrown out from our University's Physics and Astronomy lab. If you have a passion for this at all now is the time to start trying, at least a little bit - now and then. It took a great deal of lurking on my part too before I felt comfortable going for it. Take everything one step at a time and keep everyone here posted - ask questions - and be motivated by the support of 'family APUG'.

Or if you'd like I can make the 5 hour drive and take whatever you don't want off your hands for you?? :wink:

14. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made my first darkroom out of cardboard refridgerator cartons in my parents basement. That was 40 years ago. Net cost was two tubes of caulking to stick the cardboard together.

15. goodfood

goodfood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Keep it, or you will sorry after you retire.

16. johnalex141r

johnalex141r Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    You never know...

Vick;

I'm also in Ottawa, and have just almost finished a darkroom. I have an Omega B66xl with dichroic head; and it just fits in the basement-low ceiling'd houses we have here. It is in one side of a basement bathroom, so there is "kindof" running water; thinking of putting in a real 2' x 4' sink sometime.

I like developing and printing again; it is kind of fun; but not as simple as pluggin in a USB port. One gets spoilt. I purchased my Omega enlarger new many years ago now, and it was in storage for about 20 years - coming out for an evening of printing every year or two.

If you want to do some printing, up to 6x6cm negs, PM me.

I was thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger but 1) don't think I have the vertical room; 2) don't have cameras larger than 6cm x 4.5cm; 3) my darkroom is not that big in terms of square footage. Something to think about... you need to be really dedicated to make full use of a wet darkroom in 2010 - digital is really simpler for some tasks.

JohnS.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010