Double-X 100' rolls Special Order??

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by sepiareverb, Feb 18, 2013.

1. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wondering how much interest there would be among apug folks for getting Eastman Double-X (5222) movie film as factory spooled 100' rolls for bulk loaders. Kodak has expressed an interest in doing this should there be enough demand for this one-time order, there would be about 150 rolls total, I have a preliminary price from the Kodak rep.

Let me know via pm or email if interested.

doublex (at) sepiareverb.com

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been getting it from this guy:

http://www.releasing.net/rawstock/

I cannot remember what I paid (it was about a year ago) and I may have gotten a 200' roll but at the time I decided on him over Kodak for some reason. Just throwing it out there...

3. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak Motion Picture Division only sells 400 or 1000' rolls, some of us don't have the set-up for cutting it down to fit into a bulk loader.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $100?
    You can get still camera 35mm film for about $30 to$50/roll.

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understood. I just looked up my order from last year that I got from that link above I posted. I got 400' roll of 5222 for $140. I used a large film changing bag and spooled off 100' and loadede into my Lloyds. Just got an Alden 74 that holds 200' and will be using that from now on....

6. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't set the price, this is the price for a special order from Kodak. Just putting it out there.

7. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there something so special about this film that it's worth that much more than other films from Kodak and Ilford?

8. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It has quite a following on Flickr & rangefinder forum. I find it has much more personality than TMAX, an older look than Tri-X.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I PM'd before I saw that price.

Now they are just getting ridiculous.

At $100 per I'm out.

Thanks, Bill

10. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If anyone is in a university program that has an eduction discount with Kodak you can get something like 30% off the motion picture films which XX stock is. That is the cheapest film you can get probably anywhere if spooling down from 1000ft rolls. Unfortunately I didn't know this when I was in school.

I'm shooting down my own 1000ft roll now over the course of two years. It's nice but after while you want to shoot something else. I shoot it at 200 or under, others on rff have pushed it pretty high. It is labeled for 200-250 indoor outdoor.

11. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What kind of developing is needed? Is there any specific reason its different from any Ilford/Kodak/Adox/Foma/Fuji offering? What are the archival characteristics? I'm not really a Kodak fan any more, after what they've done recently, so for that price there would really need to be a compelling reason.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The $100.00 per roll price really gives one a sense of how much of the price of a roll of film is due to economies of scale.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is Double X movie film different than the stills XX film?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No special development is needed, its just black and white film. There are tons of developer combos and timings on the net, there is one dedicated eastman XX site, and a long thread over at rff.

Eastman double X is cine film, but can be rolled to be shot in still cameras. It has a slightly different sprocket hole pattern, with rounded sides to accommodate the high speeds inside motion picture cameras. It is quite durable as well when handling.

17. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Turns out that Plus-X is gone because the one particular machine that coated it broke, and it couldn't be repaired any more, same as Efke. And Kodachrome was an EPA issue. They're not all bad.

18. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep.

19. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really? First I've heard of either of these. Even if true there's a big difference between "couldn't be repaired" and "not economically viable to repair." Almost anything CAN be repaired, or a replacement built, but I can understand if it's not worth it. I like Plus-X a lot but FP4+ and Acros are both great films, Acros pretty much unique.

20. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes

21. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At $100 for 100 ft this seems a bit pricey especially when you can buy short ends for much less. Check with Fim Emporium in New York City. Companies that sell short ends and other cine films have a rather fluid stock, so a particular film may not be currently available. Here patience is the key for really good prices.

22. grobbit

grobbit Member

Ooh, where can I buy that? I need some 70mm.

23. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's pretty weird that Kodak doesn't just make them available as a normal product any more. You'd think students would want 100' rolls on a camera spool to save money while learning to shoot, for instance. They still made color negative motion picture film available that way even recently... though now that I look at their catalog it looks like that is gone too. So maybe this is the cost involved when they no longer have a warehouse full of the camera spools and 100' bags and cans around?!

Orwo will gladly sell you two different kinds of B&W movie film in 35mmx100' for less than half of what Kodak is asking:

http://www.orwona.com/b-w-motion-picture-camera-films/

Or if you really want Double-X, this should would provide some incentive to get equipped to deal with the longer rolls! It's only $150 for 400' brand new ordered direct from Kodak.

Duncan

24. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was told it had been repaired so many times that it was actually shot. Tho, sure I suppose remanufacturing the bulk of the worn out parts could be possible, but at a cost which would never come back.

25. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just checked with Film Emporium http://www.filmemporium.com/store they sell Eastman 5222 Double-X film for $207.60 for 400 feet. This is sealed fresh stock from Kodak. A 1000 feet runs $474.00.

26. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, I'll just slit that in half and run it through my perforator, then re-spool it down to two 100' rolls and two 50' rolls! Cheaper yet!!