Double-X 5222 now directly orderable from Kodak online

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by frobozz, Jan 2, 2012.

1. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's been straightforward to get 400' rolls of Double-X direct from Kodak if you were willing to call their 800 number and deal with a human.... but now you can order it online with a few clicks:

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekcons...k_and_White_Negative_Film/categoryID.55766300

There were a few online retailers who sold it at a very small markup, but now you can get it from the source. (If you want more than 2 rolls you still need to call them, but if you want more than 2 rolls you were probably already calling them!)

Duncan

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad you can't order regular-8 off the Kodak website. I need a bunch more from John Schwind; wonder where he gets it?

3. jbwpro

jbwpro Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I assume he's re-perforating 16mm film...? As far as I know, Kodak simply doesn't manufacture regular-8 any more.

Duncan

5. jbwpro

jbwpro Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. oilman930

oilman930 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can buy 8mm film from the Kodak web site. The film is listed in the Motion Picture Catalog.

Ektachrome 100D reversal film sold in 16mm form with 8mm perforations in a 400 foot roll.

Tri-x reversal film also sold in 16mm form with 8mm perforation in a 400 foot roll.

There is also Kodak Vision colour print film 3383 sold in 16mm form with 8mm perforations in a 2000 foot roll. This film would be used to print from a colour negative film like the Vision 2 or Vision 3 series films.

This is where the 8mm film suppliers get their film. They buy it in 400 foot rolls and cut it to 25 feet spools to sell.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Link?

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    International Film buys the stock from Kodak as a special order. It is listed in the Kodak MP film catalogue with a several roll (400ft roll) minimum order. John has regular 8 spools and cans. (the spools that the film I last got from him were Soviet in origin) a 400ft rolls gives 12 standard spools as the leaders mean you need 33 feet for each roll.

I understand that it was John who persuaded Kodak to make the stock available as a special order.

10. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretty sweet! Ive been respooling XX in 35mm cassette discards. Its a nice film which Ive been developing in Rodinal stand. Its gives it a very old timey effect (best description I could come up with).

At $141 per 400/ft roll, fresh and direct form the source its a good deal. It come out to about $35.25 per 100ft.

11. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ouch - I see it now. The 100D has a 20-roll minimum, the Tri-X reversal has a 5-roll minimum, and the release print (Vision 3383) has, if I'm reading it correctly, a 160-roll minimum of 2000-foot rolls! Wow, you'd have to really want to print some release prints in Regular 8mm format...
    all the stranger since there is currently no color negative film available in that format.

Oh, and someone asked for the link:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/QA_MotionPictureCatalog_November15_2011.pdf

Duncan

12. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Making prints in Regualr 8 is often (or perhasp I should say WAS often) done with a step printer from a 16mm or larger negative. If you look there may be an Internegative available, with Regualr 8 Perfs,

Mind you a 16mm Internegative would work fine, the printer would just not engage some of the regular 8 perfs., it would be a bit trickier buy not imposible to get the images in teh right place on the internegative.

Once you start making prints you are generaly working from a project which has been edited. if you still need a work print for something shot in 8mm it might be easier to get it blown up to 16.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FYI: I got the following reply from John Schwind (with respect to Super-Cine-x Reg-8 and Cine-X Reg-8 reversal 100 & 25 ft rolls);
    Well, I bought a bunch of both.

14. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Imagine if kodak sold all their products direct from their website.

15. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Imagine if they'd starting doing so 10 years ago...