Double-X Eastman 5222 100(ish) foot rolls for sale

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by frobozz, Apr 1, 2012.

1. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm seriously overflowing my fridge, it's time to pare back a bit. I'm going to let go some of my stockpile of 5222 Double-X 35mm movie film. It's been spooled down into 100-ish foot lengths (the smallest core that will fit on a split reel is 2", which is bigger than the 1" cores that 35mm bulk still film usually comes on. I wind it just as big as I can and still have it fit in a bulk loader, but it's probably a few feet shy of a true 100...) It's then put into a used bulk still film bag and can, just like you're used to. I bought this new from Kodak and it's been refrigerated the whole time I've had it. I'd like to get $55 a can, INCLUDES SHIPPING in the US (let's discuss postal rates on a country by country basis if you're outside the US) and I have a few cans to sell.

Full disclosure: you can buy this yourself cheaper per foot direct from Kodak

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekcons...k_and_White_Negative_Film/categoryID.55766300

but then you have 400 or 1000 feet of it, and need to deal with getting it down to a manageable size for your bulk loader, find cans to store it in, or spool it off 5 or 6 feet at a time in the dark, etc. I've already done all that for you, and this is still cheaper than bulk Tri-x, etc.

Here are some discussions about using it in still cameras:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52426

http://www.project-double-x.org/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/656147@N20/pool/

Here is the Kodak data sheet on it:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uplo...s/BW_Negative/Technical_Data/5222_techpub.pdf

Here is the label from one of the cans I bought:

[​IMG]

Duncan

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle sells Arista Premium B&W 400 ISO 35mm x 100 ft. roll, made in the USA, reportedly Tri-X for $45.99.

3. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sure - there are probably other even cheaper 400-speed films available as bulk rolls. But if someone is looking for Double-X, here is a way to get it without all the hassle of the 400/1000 ft rolls it normally comes in.

I'm just trying to pare down my stock and cover all my hassle costs and the ancillaries like cores and cans that are hard to track down; I'm not trying to go into business respooling this stuff. For someone that wants to use a lot of Double-X, I highly recommend just ordering it straight from Kodak.

Duncan

4. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good stuff, I shoot a fair amount of XX, its great in Rodinal semi-stand. A real old-timey grain look feel. I roll it from a 1000ft can I got.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fair enough. Question, are the sprocket holes the same as regular 35mm camera film?

6. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, motion picture film has "Bell and Howell" perforations, while still camera film has "Kodak Standard" perforations. The big difference is that the B&H perfs have rounded sides, which basically makes no difference at all since a camera is pulling on the other side of the perfs anyway. Somewhere out there must be a still camera that somehow can't cope with the different width of the perfs due to the rounding, but I can't imagine what that would be. Works just dandy in my old manual focus Canons, and every other camera I read about people using it in.

Here's the Kodak diagram of it from the Motion Picture Products Catalog:

Screen shot 2012-04-01 at 12.37.47 AM.png

And here's the catalog I snipped it from:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/QA_MotionPictureCatalog_February15_2012.pdf

Duncan

7. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The B&H and KS perf differences are not important for still camera use, both work just fine. If you're running it through a motion picture camera at 24 fps it can be critically important.

8. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, when I said "basically makes no difference at all" I was referring to using it in a still camera. Of course it makes a difference for motion picture cameras, which is why it's perfed that way in the first place.

Duncan

9. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    PM sent for one can.

10. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too. PM sent.

11. Film Guerilla

Film Guerilla Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    this is a very nice film! although i'm running out of this film. only have 2 in the fridge. right now i have a problem with it using ilfosol S. can't find any info. before i used it with parodinal and it's very nice! how i wish i could get this film here in iran. hehe

up for you!

12. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Still a couple of rolls left, if anyone else is interested...

Duncan

13. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interested, but different country.

14. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like I could use a flat rate box and get it there for $16.95.... That's a little over $11 more than the shipping is costing me in the US, so let's call it $10 extra, so I'd sell you a roll for $65 shipped to Australia, if you want. No guarantees about X-rays but I'll mark it "FILM - DO NOT X-RAY!" and we'll hope for the best. (I've shipped 16mm film to Australia before and had no x-ray problems, but you just never know I guess.)

Duncan

15. WMRphoto

WMRphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent for a can, if there are any left.

16. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, invoice sent.

I have one final can left, which I'm holding on to for Athiril, unless he doesn't want to go for the expense of getting it to Australia...

Duncan

17. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. danfogel

danfogel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are these all gone now?

19. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, sorry. My fridge by no means has enough freed up space, but losing these rolls of Double-X helped.

If you can deal with the 400 foot rolls, buy it direct from Kodak:

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/productID.228296500

Or call 1-800-621-FILM (1-800-621-3456)

They'll ship straight to your door.

Duncan

20. Photo-gear

Photo-gear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How do you roll that 400' film? I only have a regular bulk loader.

21. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had that problem too, plus my darkroom is not tight enough for film. As was pointed out to me by another APUG-er (duh) spool it at night. So that's what I do. I have two pieces of tape on my darkroom counter about 36 frames apart and, letting the film lay on its side (no flanges!) I unroll it and cut it off and then spool it onto the cartridge spool by hand. The core can actually stay in its plastic bag while you unspool it. The important thing is DO NOT try and unspool it in your hands! Keep it flat on a surface. I learned this the hard way with 100' of Plus-X back in the day. I also stand on a bath towel so the film doesn't get scratched by the floor tiles (I'm not tall). It can be a little hard cutting and getting the film taped onto the spool square but after a couple tries it works fine. I have experienced no scratches and so far no light leaks with the plastic twist-on cartridges-their first use. Get some canned air and be sure to blow off the felt before every re-use.

This way you can get the $ benefits of 400' cores. When this is gone I might buy 1000' from Kodak and re-spool half of it onto the empty 400' core.

s-a

22. Photo-gear

Photo-gear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks a lot for the tip. I think I just have to order it... :wink: Unless I am wrong, the only supplier is Kodak, isn't?

23. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    (Kodak Customer Service (800) 621-FILM (3456))

Is what I have, but there's also

lance@lancephoto.com

He sells pre-loads if you just want to try it out. His shipping is slow but he does get it out. You can also try

http://www.releasing.net/rawstock/

s-a

24. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  25. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't like the bulk loader. For whatever reason, when using the bulk loader I am as graceful as a three-legged giraffe with a trick knee. In the dark, I pull out the length of film between my outstretched arms, it is about the length of a 36 exp roll, withiin a few frames. It works for me, I have had no problems with scratches or any other problems. I load into Leica brass cassettes. Pretty cool way to do it.

m