doubling up sync cords

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jwchayse, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jwchayse

jwchayse Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So my camera has a female pc socket and my flash has a female pc socket so I need a male to male pc cord, right?
    Except I need the connection to reach about 30 feet and a 30ft male to male seems to be hard to find soooo..........

Could I use a 30ft male to female then just use a 12" male to male, plugging one end of the 12" into the female end of the 30ft and the other end into the flash?

Is it okay to double up sync cords like that? Is there a different type of connection I should be using? (I cant afford radio slaves at the moment)

Thanks
    Jon

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The cost of a 30' cable is likely more then the cheapy radio slaves from Ebay. Are you sure that's what you need? Male to male? But ya patching cords works.

3. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can:
    camera->male_pc-->male_household :: female extension cord =====//==== \
    ====male end of cord<--female_household<--male_pc

OR...
    Just save yourself some trouble and get some wireless syncs from someone like gadget infinity. I rig up 2 or 3 vivitars with ductape into one umbrella.

4. jwchayse

jwchayse Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've heard household is a little more secure, but I cant seem to find a pc male to household female.

Oh actually you know come to think of it, see this whole thing is for a shoot Im doing next week and I was going to rent a hasselblad for it, do hassy lenses have regular pc sockets or some special proprietary hasselblad socket?

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another option is a 'three way'

Not sure of the proper name for the PC signal splitter I have.

It has one male PC, so that a standard male to female cord from the camera fits that, and three females, so up to the flash haeds fits into them. I call it my sputnik, because it looks liked a little satellite with all the differnet connectors on this bit of plastic.

I use it for triggering my main and background light when doing portraits; the background light sits behind and under the posing stool, and the crumby slave I have for it is not always sensitive to fire when so shileded. On the third leg I connect up the bottom portion of an old dead cold shoe flashe that has a fashe test button on it. Pressing the button causes the flashes to fire without needing to unplug anything from the camera.

Someday I will have radio synched strobes trigger, but not while there are things like the kids swimming lessons, soccer league, etc. to pay for.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would just get a 12" male to male, cut it in half and lengthen it with some cheap twin core cable. Twist the joints together and cover with insulating tape.

Steve.

7. John Curran

John Curran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. greybeard

greybeard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    do hassy lenses have regular pc sockets or some special proprietary hasselblad socket?

Well, sort of. Paramount makes "long tip" cords specifically for Hasselblads (CF lenses, in particular I think). Other cords may or may not work reliably---there seems to be considerable variation which other equipment tolerates more gracefully.