Dover Delaware Darkroom Dilemma! Discouraged and disgusted

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jimgalli, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Well we've just about got Tina's darkroom set to go. Omega D2 with everything she'll need and more thanks to many caring folks here at APUG. I'll be here 2 more days and we've combed the entire state for a package of Dektol and some multicontrast filters to no avail!!!

That isn't entirely true I suppose. I'm sure there's some someplace! We just can't find it anywhere near Dover. Any help for me????

2. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, PM me. tim

3. mark

mark Member

I got your filters and can get the dektol PM me.

4. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Looks like you're all taken care of but if needed I just got a set of under-the-lens Polycontrast and a set of Duponts that look to be in fine shape that I'm never going to use.

5. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    BTW, the day wasn't a total wash. Got to hear the Wanamaker Grand Court organ at the Lord & Taylor store in Philly!

You guys are the greatest! The bigger problem is that I'm hoping to find the stuff locally (Dover DE. +or- 40 miles or so) to purchase because a single printing session with Tina will be worth a thousand e-mails. Can you make paper developer out of D-76??

6. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any film developer (nearly) will work on paper. Don't know about dilution and time, but give it a shot. D76 is plenty cheap to play with. tim

7. kwmullet

kwmullet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm assuming you tried Cutler Camera and it was a dry well. I've never been there, but five minutes on Yahoo yielded these photo supply retailers within 40-50 miles. I'm guessing that many of them would be able to order Dektol on request and might be able to get it a bit faster and without the added shipping charge that any number of online photo retailers would charge.

-KwM-

8. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jim,

I've got filters in Richmond. Not sure about Dektol but I know that there is some Ilford paper dev at my nearby camera store. There's a 10 am bus that I could get the filters and hopefully some paper dev on (I only have 3/4 of a bottle of Ilford PQ here but you're welcome to it). Let me know before 8:30 am if you're interested.

The 10 am bus arrives in Dover around 6 pm. Shipping is less than $21 for the bus.

Mike Davis
    jmdavis@mail2.vcu.edu

9. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. gainer

gainer Subscriber

D-76 has all the exotic elements of a developer, and I'm sure you can make it work very well with about a tablespoon of washing soda or pHPlus from a swimming pool supply house per quart of solution. Some papers will work with just the washing soda.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    B&H ships overnight, and it's not that far from Dover. Did you try places like university bookstores? Sometimes they stock B&W photo supplies for classes.

12. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If all else fails, try The Darkroom Studios in Merchantville NJ. It's not that far of a trip and Brad has an excellent selection (not to mention that he's a fellow APUGer).

13. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks everyone. We decided it was worth the drive to Wilmington as there was another store there that my wife had been waiting to visit. So we've got the darkroom dark and all the goodies in place to make pictures. I've notified my son in law that he'll be a single dad and his son will be an orphan from here on out.