Down sizing camera pile

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dosilverhalide, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dosilverhalide

dosilverhalide Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, I live in Florida, USA, and I've been buying garage sale and flea market cameras for several years. I've finally figured out that you can only use one camera at a time to take pictures, duh. So I'm looking to donate a dozen or so users to schools that still have film courses. Any one have names and locations of any such schools. J

2. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look up the nearest community college and inquire.

3. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There was somone on Apug a few months ago looking for something like what you are offering (wanted cameras for a college or community program). Maybe the person was in Canada if my memory serves me correct??? Anyone remember that thread? I will try to search and see if it comes up...

4. rbender

rbender Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Film Photography Podcast donates cameras to students and folks who want to learn about film. They take donations all the time for this purpose. Check out there website. http://filmphotographyproject.com

5. joshua029

joshua029 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I donated a few minoltas to my college. Dont forget, donations can get you a tax break too! Not that you'd do this for selfish reasons. :tongue:

6. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The University of North Florida in Jacksonville still has a film program - in fact, film is what the students are interested in. They do have trouble with finding working cameras the students can use. If you're interested in them, PM me and I'll get the contact information for you.
    juan

7. dosilverhalide

dosilverhalide Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Reference camera pile

Thank you for the replys. I've given some to a local jr college and high school in the past. Both are now on the verge of doing away with film courses. J.

8. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would either sell as a lot on craigslist or ebay or send to KEH. I would not waste my time donating to a school. They have a list of requirements for donations and probably will reject your equipment.Been there done that waxed the car with the t shirt.

9. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    snow college in southern utah, weber state university in Ogden, Utah. I can get you contact information and would be willing to help with shipping costs. I just got done visiting with a friend who is setting up Snow's darkroom and he's desperate for camera...he teaches a course in large format at Brigham Young University so if you hare looking to donate any Speed Graphics, he's looking.

ctrentelman, ogden

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  10. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Search out Ann Clancey here on APUG. She may be able to use all you got in her photo classes in Atlanta. If not she may be able to give you direction. She has been very good at passing along items they were unable to use that were donated.

11. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Personally I would throw them down a hole in the ground before donating anything to a school, or anything else that belongs to government.

12. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i think the suggestion is to donate them to young people trying to learn a new skill and art based in film photography. Not sure how it matters where the class is.

13. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Free public education was America's highest accomplishment. It's nice that most people see the benefit and are willing to help out when they can.

14. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How about a note on local Craigslist: "Free cameras for photography students -- convince me you deserve one and it's yours. Offer good while supplies last."

15. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    GM donated a brand new car that had shipping damage to a local trade school under the conditions that the car would not be sold. They fixed the damage and sold the car anyway.

I like the craigslist idea.This way the camera is going directly to the student.