Drum scanning in UK?

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by dr__red, Dec 29, 2005.

1. dr__red

dr__red Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Gentlemen, is there a pro-lab in UK that provides above service? The aim is to drum-scan 4x5 chromes with subsequent output onto lightjet... The challenge so far is to find the lab that would do that here in UK. I get my chromes processed by Peak Imaging. However they seem to utilize imacons for scanning task that are not exactly drums. Well, as everybody else on these shores so to speak...

2. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Imacon scans really can be very good, which is why they are so popular with labs. Also popular with photographers and their film which doesn't get blathered in gel.

I'm sure that you have good reason for wanting drums, but I have seen Lightjets alongside and pretty much indistinguishable from Cibachromes at Joe Cornish's Light Force exhibition. Some of the prints were 30x40in all made by BPD photech, who also scan on Imacon. Their scanning prices are a fraction of Metro's http://www.bpdphotech.com/P_digital.asp and cheaper than I charge when using my Flextight.

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  5. Bernard_61

Bernard_61 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Jake is a great guy and a reliable scanner operator. He uses a Dainippon Screen dt-s 1045 AI, capable of an excellent quality of scan.

If you demand the Dainippon Screen 8060's quality (Dainippon's flagship drum scanner) I'm in Northern Italy.

Recently I scanned and restored a ruined 11x14" color negative by Massimo Vitali and we printed a huge dyptich (each print approximately 180x220 cm) with LighJet printer at Grieger Lab in Dusseldorf (Gursky's, Struth's etc lab).
    The final quality was amazing.

Take a look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/castorscan/6766674429/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castorscan/

6. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd suggest sending off a slide for a 100+(mb) test scan at Peak Imaging. I sent them a Velvia 50 6x6 slide telling them I was considering using their custom service for a project, but wanted to see the result of their highest quality scan first. If you want, I can give you a link to a 100% sample of the scan.