Dry Mount tissue: small sheets with big print?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Robland, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Robland

Robland Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a poster I want to mount. (not a photograph) Light weight paper, slightly thicker than magazine print. It's about 20x24 and was wondering what would happen if I used 6 sheets of 8x10 tissue on a mat board and was careful to butt the edges. Or 1/8th inch overlap? My press will cover 20x24. Tack iron to hold in place. Looking to minimize/eliminate any line or transition between tissue.

With the butt edge will the seam melt into itself?

With the overlap will the bump flatten?

I assume thicker fiber print would work better but might still show a line where the tissue overlaps/butts? (is this forbidden? :smile:)

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I have done it before. Just butt the edges up against each other. Don't overlap.

Jon

3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon is right. To prevent creep I'd seal all of each tissue to either the poster or the mount board rather than just tack it.

4. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do you seal?

Maybe a stupid question but how do you seal a heat activated product?

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I meant that I adhere the entire tissue to the poster or mount board in the dry mounting press rather than tack a small area of it.

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have (to the board side only) added a small dab of saliva to keep the dry mount sheets from sliding around (old shellac ones were very slick).

Then but the smaller adhesiive sheets together and add the print, and partially slide it in to tack it while still aligned.

Then slide the whole thing into the press (or at least as much as will fit with one bite).