Drying Screens

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by CPorter, Dec 10, 2011.

1. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've always used blotter paper to dry my prints but now will be using screens to lay them on....can the screen material be metal, or does it need to be fiberglass, does it matter?

thanks
    Chuck

2. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fiberglass.

3. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fiberglass for sure. Aluminum screen will corrode over time and get all over your prints.

4. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Fiberglass.

5. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ok-------I was wandering because I found some screens at Home Depot that would be just right in size but they were not fiberglass.

6. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been using several large white towels for drying my fiber paper. Before using them wash the towels several time in hot water with bleach and don't use fabric softener to remove the flint. I lay the prints between the towel on top of one another. When the prints are almost dry I move them out of the towels. Another way is to buy heavy canvas; place the prints between the canvas and the canvas between the towels. Remove the prints when they are almost dry. Good luck.

7. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello !
    Making screens is easy.
    Go to an art store and buy canvas chassis the dimension you want (they come unmounted in a lot of varied dimensions, in very strong wood with smooth profile. And of course without canvas on them...
    Then go to the hardware store and look for fiberglass mosquito net ad to the cart stainless steel tackles and the device to punch them and you're done.
    Mine are years old, darn cheap, easy to clean because dirt and contaminants can't go into the fiberglass which does not drink water so dry quite instantly.
    Hope this helps

8. Dave Ludwig

Dave Ludwig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go to a Habitat for Humanity Resale store, or similar, and find some fiberglass window screens. Bought 6 full window screens for 12 bucks.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are pretty easy to make. Home Depot has all the stuff you need. Frame w 4 plastic connectors, rubber inset and a roll of plastic screen.

10. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    + 1 on the Home Depot stuff (or Lowes presumably), very easy, and you can make them any size that suits you.

11. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everybody for your information..........

12. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When stationed at a Navy base I could put fiber prints between clean sheets on my bed and weigh them down with a blanket. In a few hours they were dry and fairly flat. Storing them face to face and back to back in tightly packed boxes completed the flattening process.