Duh! Streaks and Co

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Jorge Oliveira, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've posted re streaks in TMX 100 new.

Well, I had it again (less, but they were there) - and this time everithing went smooth - very strange.

So I decided to refix on freshly mixed fixer - et voila, gone!

It seems related to old fixer (not exausted, used to fix just a few 15 exposure strips), Polymax T diluted some 2 months ago.

Note: I hasn't paid attention to it, but the film had a slightly pinkish tone, now it's completelly clear.

Jorge O

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixing Tmax requires some extra attention: fresh fixer and also longer times (at least 4-5 minutes)
    It would help to check your fixer before use with either test strips or fixer tester.

All the best

Hans

3. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The pinkish tone might go away with a soak in a hypo clearing bath. It's just residual tint from the antihalation dye.

4. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, guys

I've done strip clearing tests some two weeks ago. By then it was fine.
    I've used Tmax 100 before with it, and no problem.

As I said, it was age and not exaustion. I've counted all the strips I've fixed and it's hardly equivalent to 4 36 rolls...

Funny, it never happened to me in the past - but I've never used Polymax fixer before (the only ready mixed stuff one finds over here). Is wearing out a characteristic of rapid fixers ?

Well, one more soup recipe to mix at home...

Jorge O

5. baronfoxx

baronfoxx Member

If you can get it where you live try Tetenal Superfix it is a non smelling fast fixer and I now use it for films and papers.