Duplicating Negatives w/ Print Film - Need Color Compensation...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by holmburgers, Aug 19, 2009.

1. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey y'all,

So I've recently picked up a Canon FL Bellows & Slide Duplicator for use with my AE-1. I have no desire to duplicate slides, but rather to turn negatives into slides by shooting w/ regular print film.

However, I know that if I do this I'll get a terrible blue(?) cast, because of the orange coating on color negs. So the question is, what kind of filter should I use to get natural looking slides in this manner.

And now that I'm writing this I'm second guessing myself even more, because even if I remove the cast from the original negative, the new negative (or in this case a positive) I create will have it's own orange cast. Or will there be some sort of counteracting effect in there that I'm not realizing??.... aaah! :confused:

So basically, I want 'decent' looking slides that I can mount myself from negatives developed in the normal C-41 process.

I look forward to your comments!!

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your positives will still have an orange mask, it's included in the film. :sad:

3. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bummer dude

But theoretically speaking.... what if I compensated so much so that the orange layer on the film balanced out the highly compensated image to a natural balance? Could such a thing be done?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking there was a Kodak film especially for this purpose. I'll lookfor the info but it may no longer be around.

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I believe you're right, but I'm pretty sure it's discontinued.... of course! :sad:

But if the orange mask is basically just a filter, couldn't I reverse it's effect by applying it's complementary color (blue, right?) in the appropriate amount?

It might not be perfect, it wouldn't definitely decrease EV, but I'd be willing to try it if someone could point me in the right direction for gel colors/strengths.

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make a print then copy this with slide film.

7. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's just too much "signal loss" when going to a print. Because any print I get would undoubtedly be a giclee (a.k.a inkjet printer) and resolution would certainly be sacrificed.

I'd like to keep it uni-generational, if you will :wink:

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wasn't thinking printing a print by digital means (Yuk), rather, making a print the traditional dark room way. I would also suggest the print should be at least 8x10.

9. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, that would be awesome, but I have no means/expertise to do color printing. And the main allure of copying from negatives would be a cheap & easy way to get slides from any of my photos.

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look for a lab (mail order if none local) that does RA prints and try either or both 5x7 and or 4x6 and make a copy and see how it projects.

Sorry, cheap and easy does not always go together. :smile:

11. Denis K

Denis K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the film was you are discussing was KODAK VERICOLOR Slide Film which went by a moniker of SO-279. See Kodak practice E-24.

I had/have a few rolls of this film but due the very detailed exposure guidelines I determined that I would exhaust my bank account before I could perfect my process. It uses C-41 for development.

Denis K

12. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it was kodak so-279 (35mm 35 exposure) or vericolor 5072 (35mm 100' bulk) it was processed in C-41.

I still have 2 rolls of so-279 from circa 81 in my freezer; I doubt if they are still viable, but they are fun to think about.

I have used portra b&w ra-4 print paper ( I have a 12" roll about 200' long that I bought from a closing minilab for $10). It was meant to print b&w prints from colour negs. I have used it to print b&w negs. I either include a blank orange mask snadwiched in to keep the contrast in range, or dial in enough yellow and magenta (about 50cc of each I recall, after matching up the colour balance after pulling the mask with my analyser) to simulate the mask and just print the raw b&w neg. (You can otherwise adjust the red filtration to vary this paper's image from about a number 2 to a number 3.5 in its black and white contrast).

So, yes, it is in thoery possible to filter the filme mask out, however the negative image would then not automatically be turned into true colur image when shooting it with a 'normal' C-41 film.

13. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could try to use the color compensation filters, shoot with slide film, and cross process to make a positive.

Before, I would say that you could use a c41 film with no orange mask such as digibase or scanfilm, but I've since learned that those films are actually c41 labeled slide films.

If you really wanted extra work for yourself, I guess you could use the color compensation filters, shoot with slide film to get a properly balanced negative, and then shoot again with slide film for the positive. You would lose a lot of quality though.

14. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can get the slide film as mentioned above or you can scan the negative with a film scanner then make the slide using a film recorder.

15. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but that's hybrid.