Duplicating negatives.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Shootar401, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Whats the easiest way to duplicate a 4x5 sheet of Provia to B/W neg?

I want to print a photo I took on Provia, but print it B/W.

2. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    plate holder in place of paper in enlarger focus on darkslide.

Use light yellow for clouds...

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contact printing would give you the best sharpness. Do you have a contact print frame?

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You asked for EASIEST so I'll mention the use of ILFORD positive printing paper.

5. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a few, but only as small as 8x10. I can try that.

6. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have had good luck with both contact printing and projecting printing color transparencies to black-and-white film.

7. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since most enlargers won't do sub second exposures reliably, you will have to use some slow B&W film to make that copy, stop the enlarger lens way down (diffraction blur won't matter if you contact print) and possibly think of some ND filters. One more thing to consider is light fall off to the sides. Make sure the light spot from your enlarger covers a much larger area than the area where your film stack sits in, and hope that the center of that light area has somewhat even light distribution.

8. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Your post doesn't make sense. Provia is a color transparency film. Is this what you have in mind as your original? But then you want to make
    a black and white negative from this? Correct? So you want to make a black and white internegative, not a duplicate, from a chrome. You can do this either by contact or projection (to enlarge the original). Several panchromatic sheet films will work, FP4+ being a convenient one.
    And you can apply contrast filters to the exposure just like when using contrast filters with black and white film outdoors, except that your
    light source will now likely be tungsten-balanced. Regardless, you need to do some testing to come up with the correct exposure and development time. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might try putting a sheet of fresh film under the Provia sheet in a film holder and then exposing it in camera, aiming the camera at a featureless light source (like a light box) with your lens wide open and set on infinity. I have used a barrel lens (on a Speed Graphic) with the elements removed, leaving only the aperture blades so that I could meter but not focus, if you get my meaning. I've done this to make positive transparencies and it worked great. Admittedly, the contact between the two sheets will not be absolutely perfect, but I haven't had any problems.