Duraclear

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by wildbillbugman, Oct 15, 2010.

1. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    Dose anyone know anything concerning the currant or future availability of Duraclear. I have not used it in years, but I am considering using it to make negatives for Carbon Transfer. I was joking about it yesterday on another Forum. But after sleeping on it, not such a bad idea.
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    easily available and very popular im sure this product will be around for a very long time. both KODAK Ilford and Fuji, make clear materials

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak, Fuji and Agfa still offer RA-4 materials with a clear, colourless base, Kodak and Fuji also one with a translucent base.

5. Jostie

Jostie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    UV Filter

Whilst researching media to use to make negatives for contact printing it was suggested that Duraclear/trans had an inbuilt UV absorbing layer which made it unsuitable for the purpose. I'll see if I can find the exact reference to add to the post. I am unfamiliar with the carbon process so don't know if this a problem or not.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good point. I did not find any hints at UV-absorbers at the data-sheets of the Kodak and Fuji films, but indeed at the Agfa one.

But are those effective in actually hampering the process? I mean, time is on our side.

By the way, I still do not understand why Bill wants to use RA-4 materials in the first place. (Am slow on the intake again...)