Durst 138s CLS 1000 and RH Designs Stop Clock

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Marc Charvet, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

I have a Durst 138 with CLS 1000 head. I bought yesterday a Zone Master II and probably it can not be connected with the Durst Digitim S 1000 timer. So, i'm looking for a RH Design Stop Clock. Unfortunately, I think Durst CLS 1000 has a power rating (1000w, 110V) too high to be supported by Stop Clock.

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect Zone Master II with the Durst timer, or RH Design Stop Clock with Durst 138 and CLS 1000?

Thanks in advance.

(Excuse my mistakes in English, it's a long time that I left school... :sad: )

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Marc and welcome to APUG. You could hook up a relay to keep the current from frying the timer.

3. ras351

ras351 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My L1000 with the CLS450 head and the TRA450 transformer has a special low current timer socket. This gets used to switch the enlarger lamp on/off but most of the current goes through a separate circuit (ie there are two mains power inputs to the transformer). Check to see if you have something like this and if so you can use the lower current rated timers.

Roger.

4. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your replies.

Hello fotch, have you an idea what kind of relay to use ?

Hello Roger, I must carefully study your suggestion. Also, anyone have electric circuit diagram of the Durst Digitim to study more precisely the connection possibilities ?

Thanks at all.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I would use a relay with a coil voltage that the Stop Clock outlet puts out. This would be line voltage. For example, in the USA, this would be 110 volts. In choosing the relay, I would also specify the relay contacts can handle the amperage or current needed. The 1000 watts would need around 10 amps but I would pick a relay that could handle 20 amps. The different cost would be minimal.

I would also want the relay to be a double pole so it could also handle 220 volts, even if not presently needed. This would also be little extra cost. So, when the Stop Clock sends voltage to energize the lamp, instead, it energizes the relay. When said relay is energized, the relay contacts allow the 1000 watt to go the enlarger.

If not familiar in basic electricity then contact an electrician. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  6. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you very much, It is very clear !

By searching in my memory, by memories of old lessons electricity, I should be able to get there.

As soon as I receive my ZoneMaster, I study the question. If I succeed in realize the connection with Digitim timer, I'll give here details to who might be interested to do it.

And thank you again fotch !

7. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try contacting RH designs for an answer, I have always found Dr Ross, the owner of RH designs, to be extremly helpful, just Email them and you will get all the help possible, and that from the designers/makers of the equipment,always go the source as a mistake could get expensive
    Richard

8. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Richard,

I’m already in relationship with Mr. Ross of RH Designs who have already given me many explanations. He thinks it is not possible because ZoneMaster only interfaces to their own StopClock. Unfortunately, I think Durst CLS 1000 has a power rating (1000w, 110V) too high to be supported by their Stop Clock. When I wrote him, he suggested I ask the question on APUG for a possible solution.

You're absolutely right ! That's why I will study very precisely the question before doing something. So, if anyone have electric circuit diagram of the Durst Digitim, i am very interested.

Marc

9. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ZoneMaster II will only connect to our StopClock timers but you can use it as a stand alone meter with any timer.

I'm fairly certain the high power Durst enlargers do have relays built in so that the timer doesn't need to handle the high currents in the lamp circuit, but we were hoping someone here would have the definitive answer!

10. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If this is accurate, do you think your StopClock could then be connected to durst CLS 1000 ? I'll try to measure the intensity at the output of Digitim.

11. RH Designs

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you press the start or focus buttons on your timer, do you hear a click from the enlarger power supply? If so, that would be a relay. I can't find any specific information about the Digitim 1000 but from pictures it doesn't look like the sort of device that would handle high powers.

Does the power supply have its own mains power cable or does it connect only to the timer?

12. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found electric circuit diagram of the Durst CLS 1000 (see attachment). There's a relay in the head who switch the shutter. The lamp lights up immediately after the shutter opening. I look in greater detail the connections later and I post again.

Attached Files:

13. ras351

ras351 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need to find a schematic for the transformer/power supply rather than the head. The head on my enlarger is connected to the power supply via a cable with something which resembles a centronics style connector. In addition the power supply has connections for "Timer 220V", "Timer 110V", "Timer Input" and "Mains". The power from the house connects to the "Mains" connector. The power supply for the timer is connected to either "Timer 220V" or "Timer 110V" depending on your line voltage. The output from the timer is then connected to "Timer Input" which is used as the relay/switch, rather than directly powering the enlarger. I would be extremely surprised if the transformer/power supply for a 138 doesn't have something similar given mine is only 250W.

14. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is the schematic for the head.

I don't have the EST1000 schematic, but I do have the EST2000 schematic. In the EST2000 the "timer input" triggers an opto-electric switch. So your timer input voltage won't fry the rest of the electronics. The timer input does NOT power the enlarger lamp, like most other types of power supplies. The "timer input" voltage only turns on a LED in the opto-electric relay.

I don't recall the exact input specs on the unit. Don't quote me but I recall something like 90V to 250V are acceptable trigger voltages. Check on you EST1000, I think the "timer input" has the specs labeled on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  15. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks at all.

I'll check the connections and the specs on my EST1000, but I think you're right. I'll post the results after .

16. Mikael

Mikael Member

I have a Durst 138 and the cls 1000 head. I can confirm it has a special connection for timer. I use it with RH Designs Stop Clock.

17. Marc Charvet

Marc Charvet Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Mikael,

Thank you for this precious information.

On my side, I have disassembled the power supply earlier. The Digitimer controls a relay into the power supply. Therefore, I think the power output of the timer is not high.

I checked it with my LPL-ET500 timer whose maximum capacity is 500 watts. Enlarger works well and the timer has not roasted !

But Mikael has already confirmed that.

18. RH Designs

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mikael, I'll file that away in our "known to work with" box :smile:.

19. swittmann

swittmann Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd like to know if the Analyser Pro can also be used with that enlarger (138/CLS1000).

20. RH Designs

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Sandra - the Analyser Pro and StopClock have identical switching systems.

21. swittmann

swittmann Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's great, thank you, Richard.