Durst 138s Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Curt, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Up until recently I have used Nikkor enlarging lenses exclusively, 150, 105, 75, and 50. Now that I have the new, to me, enlarger I have a 180 Schneider Componon, 75, and 50 Schneider lenses mounted on the turret.

I'm going to put the 75 and 105 Nikon lenses on it but would like to know if anyone is using the 180 Schneider lens for 5x7. It's an older lens that is in perfect condition. I don't know if the 150 El Nikkor will cover 5x7, anyone try it?

Curt

2. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The older 150 EL Nikkor (with 53mm mount) will.

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The one I have is from the early '80's and is the metal model with I believe the 53mm mount. I bought it new so it is in mint condition, I was going to give it a try but wasn't sure mounting it would be worth while, now I think I will give it a go.

I was / am having trouble finding all of the information on the various lens boards for Durst enlargers but I'm slowly finding out what works. I may have to make another lens disk for the Nikon. Going from a Beseler 45 to a Durst 57 is literally like fitting a square peg in a round hole.

4. Brian Gatien

Brian Gatien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curt;
    I have just obtained a 138 S also. It only had a single lens - a Companon 105mm, and did not have the three-lens turret. It did not have a manual nor any carrier for 5x7; so I am now on the hunt for those pieces. It also came with a box full of condensers. Did you get a manual? I have figured out a couple of the knobs and levers but need help with the rest. If you know of a source for the manual I would appreciate it. There is a thread elsewhere; however the link for an online version of the manual doesn't work.
    I think that one needs a 210mm lens for 5x7.
    Brian

5. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brian, I can assure you that both my 180 APO Rodagon and my old 150 EL-Nikkor work just fine for 5x7.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try this site : http://manuelsphoto.free.fr/ The 138s manual they have there is not in English, but it does download OK.

7. djhopscotch

djhopscotch Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The old Rodagon 180mm (not APO) works well for 5x7". I have a 210mm too, but haven't found a mounting ring for it yet. Since the 180 covers, it just hasn't been urgent enough...

The 180mm Componon does not cover, according to my manual.

9. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both instruction and service manuals for the 138S are available from Stonemills.
    http://www.stonemills.net/inventory.html
    If you are going to overhaul the 138S I think the the $20 for the service manual is a good investment since it takes you through step by step how the counterbalance system works, how to service the baseboard and replacing the rollers in the baseboard carrying arm. It doesn't deal with anything in regards to the enlarger head, bellows or lamp housing.

Gord

10. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I remember the Rodenstock and Schneider 210mm lenses need different lensboards. Both would need to be extended boards if they are to work in the revolving turret. My Rodenstock 210mm is mounted in a what I think is a Roding 58 lens board. Can't tell the exact model number since there are no marking on it. Durst use to sell both the Lapla boards for Schneider lenses and Roding boards for the Rodenstock lenses. Roding boards were described as Roding 3917, 5071, 5072, 58 and 72.

Gord

11. Brian Gatien

Brian Gatien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    outwest: thanks for the assurance on shorter lenses.
    ic-racer: thanks (or should I say "merci"); I will try to resurrect my French reading skills
    djhopscotch: downloaded the brochure, unfortunately, I do not have a colour head so must use filters; should still be workable
    ole: thanks for the information on lens length; will read the manuals and start the search for other lenses
    gordrob: thanks for the link to the manuals; not sure about tackling servicing, I have limited manual skills
    curt: I really appreciate your starting this thread; hope to get at using the machine this weekend.

12. Don Dudenbostel

Don Dudenbostel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a newer 180 Componon S on my 138S with 5x7 with no problems. The Componon S has a threaded back mount so it mounts on a flat board. I also use the 105 EL Nikkor and a Fujinon EX 135. Great enlarger!

13. Brian Gatien

Brian Gatien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Schneider Componon 180mm mounted on a disk and installed on the turret of the enlarger and it fully covers from 1:1 up to the size of the enlarger table. It is sharp and bright, I haven't tested the El Nikkor 150mm yet to see if it will cover 5x7 but will probably put it on a disk and use it for 4x5 negatives on this enlarger. It doesn't have motor drive like the Beseler 45 but it's solid, well built, and a pleasure to use. I'm grateful I have room for it in my darkroom.

My order of Kodak 5x7 film came today so I'm ready to go again. Brian I think you will like your enlarger a lot, I'm using a Zipper negative carrier that has a frame that stretches the film, in a way like the Beseler Negaflat, I initially was going to use a Kodak double glass negative carrier but this one came along so I am pleased to eliminate the glass. Some people use glass and like them but I don't have a class "A" clean room and eliminating the four surfaces from the two sheets of glass is one less problem to deal with.

Curt