Durst C35

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ajuk, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I currently have a Meopta axormat, while it does work, I can never get a whole frame into focus no matter how much i fidle with it so something must be out of alignment, also the winder doesn't work, so I have to actually have to physically pull the head up while turning the crank. Is a Durst C35 a step up as I can get one cheap?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not really it was the cheap budget Durst.

You would be better looking for a S/H M601, M670 etc, they are capable of MF as well, failing that an M301 they all sell at quite low prices now.

Ian

3. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also seen a Durst F30 advertised on eBay locally, that any better?

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not really. They aren't the same build quality asthe M series.

Ian

5. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Durst F-30 (or maybe its a F-35?). It is the cutest little thing you've ever seen. My only complaint is against the friction focusing. I paid way too much for this one - but it was basically new in box. No regrets.

6. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Whats friction focusing?

7. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Friction focussing...is....well, it is NOT geared. I'm not sure how else to explain it. The focus knob is attached to a shaft and the shaft has a wheel on it that is made of some kind of hard plastic - like an eraser. This "gabs" the focussing rail - this is instead of a gear engaging the focussing rail...does that make sense? The problem is that the friction material on mine is a bit worn right at the sweet spot so fine focussing is a little frustrating sometimes. I guess I just need to get inthere and tighten it up a bit?

Looked at it again last night. The one I have is the F-30. It is tiny, sturdy and quite capable for making up to 8x10 from 35mm. Maybe, you could press it to make an 11x14 - I've not tried.

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've posted this advice before but it's worth repeating.
    Place an add in your local news paper looking for an enlarger.An older photographer suggested it to me and I got 18 hits on my add in the first 2 days.I live in a small city (pop. 75,000) so you can imagine just how much "unused gear" there is kicking around.