Durst CLS35 Color Head

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by boo_with_camera, Sep 24, 2009.

1. boo_with_camera

boo_with_camera Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, this is my first post, even if I read this beautiful forum from some time on...
    My name is Lorenzo and I live in Italy. I own a Durst M301 enlarger, and I've recently acquired the Durst CLS35 color head for it, but unfortunately I don't have the owner's manual. Do you know where I can find it? I've searched on the Internet but without results. Any help will be appreciated very much!!!:D
    Thanks and greetings from Italy!
    Lorenzo

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Lorenzo, welcome to APUG.

I don't remember there being very much in the manual with my CLS66, similar but for the larger M601. Did you get the mixing box that replaces the condensers,and the transformer ?

As long as you have everything and it works all the rest is vailable online. Really all that matters are the filtration setings for B&W multigrade type papers which are on the Ilford website, and the conversions between Kodak/Fuji settings for Colour.

Ian

3. boo_with_camera

boo_with_camera Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Ian,
    yes, I think the CLS66 was the "large brother" of my CLS35, they are nearly identical! I don't have the original transformer, so I use one of those electronic transformers used for domestic halogen lamps...
    There's one thing I don't understand: the maximum setting for the colour intensity in my CLS35 is 100, but on the Internet I read that Durst used the 130 or 170 scales... Can I convert the settings proportionally?
    Does the CLS66 have the same "max. 100" scale?
    Thank you very much!
    Lorenzo

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Durst's are both in the UK so I can't check, and I've used an M670 for the last 9 years anyway, but I think Durst increased the density of the dichroic filters, so they went to higher maximum settings. But the readings are still the same, so if you need more than 100 M then I'd suggest using a Multigrade below the lens filter.

Ian

5. boo_with_camera

boo_with_camera Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, well! So it's simpler than I thought...
    Thank you very much, Ian! Your help has been very useful!
    Greetings!
    Lorenzo

6. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the CLS35 as well. I don't know if it still is around online, but I did download a french version of the M301 manual, which has a small section on the colour head....Shame I cannot read french!

If you cannot find it and you would like a copy, let me know and I can put it online.

Cheers

7. boo_with_camera

boo_with_camera Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi hoffy,
    Thank you, but I alredy have the M301 manual (in italian!:D), and I wondered if existed the CLS35 manual... but no problem, I've found the answers I was looking for...
    What do you think about the CLS35? I'm starting to print colour, as I've only printed B&W...
    Thanks!
    Lorenzo

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've printed colour with both the CLS66 on my M601 nad my M670 both are just as good as each other, you won't miss the 100+ settings with colour.

The main disadvantage is there's no white light lever on the CLS35 or 66, this allows you to instantly switch out all filtration for focussing etc.

Ian