Durst enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Peter de Groot, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have a question is this a good enlarger set? I recently started (finally) shooting 8x10 negs and this one came up for a decent price.
    - Durst Color Laborator 184
    - Durst CLS 301 box
    - Durst Lamot 220 electronic bediening
    - Durst Digitim 2000 electronic timer
    - Durst TRA 301 stabilised powersupply
    - Complete set quality lenses
    - Masks for different negatives sizes up to 10x10 inch
    - easel with compressor

I tried searching on google but I am looking for some feedback from users here as well.

2. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Peter,
    I just recently acquired a L184 chassis with a V184 condenser head. Still getting bits I need to make it fully operational, but that is coming together. It looks like that would not be an issue with the system you are looking at as it looks to be complete, and that would provide considerable value for you.
    No question it well built; rigidity will not be an issue.
    You might want to take a look or ask the question on the Large Format Photography Forum web site.
    Hope that helps,
    Len

3. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Len, I followed your advice.

4. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter....

You'll have what many regard as the 'Rolls Royce of enlargers'.
    I used a Durst 138s (at work) for years..... and still enjoy my 30 year-old L1000 at home.

Ken

5. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to know. I can pick it up next friday. Already heard the cls 301 is not the best part but for starters it should do I geuss.

6. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You do realize you will need a truck or minivan at least to transport this beast? My L1200, also considered "professional", already weighs in at a hefty 30-40 kg. And it only goes to 4x5 max and doesn't have a full framework to stand on, like the L184. IDK, but the L184 could easily be over 100 kg looking at some pictures of it...

7. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the G139 (L184 base with 138S head) - you'll definitely need a hand to move it.

8. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be deconstructed for convenient moving. So a car and a thing that you put behind it(i forgot the english name) should suffice me thinks. But it is huge indeed. I will have to store it first so I can make some room at home. I hope it will fit.

9. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Peter,
    The whole thing breaks down fairly well, after all they needed to ship them all over the world...
    A car and trailer should be able to get it home. My brother and I used a small open pick up truck with a tarp covering it in the back. You might want to bring some pentrating oil if the various bits have been sitting together for a very long time.
    It does separate into two main pieces, the bottom table stage and the upper column with the enlarging head. The upper column and enlarging head will be the most ackward to move and you might want to remove the head prior to removing the upper column from the table stage, if it can be easily done.
    Your main issue in setting it up will be an issue of ceiling height, unless you are looking at horizontal projection. In my case I located it so that the head rises between the floor joists.
    Good luck and enjoy,
    Len

10. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info Len. I think the guy selling it knows a fair deal about the enlarger so I should be ok. I heard the main colom is 2,30 meters tall and my ceiling is 2,50 meters. I should be able to get it in there. Not planning to make really big prints yet so that should be fine to. Well see. I let you know.

11. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Peter,
    To put the height issue in perspective, if using a 300mm lens it requires aqpproximately 135cm (53") from negative stage to enlarging paper for a 2x (16x20) enlargement.
    If you do look at doing 16x20 regularly, you might want to find yourself an extremely short stool to sit upon while dodging and burning...
    I am sure you will be impressed by it, particularly if you know mechanical design and systems.
    Good luck,
    Len

12. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually got a call today from my garage where I have my car in maintenance. Instead of the estimated 100 euro's repairs will cost me 600 euro's. Sucks so I called the guy to say I can't buy it anymore. After talking a little bit this awesome man said I could pick it up anyway and spend the money on the car. He just made my week! I was soo bummed out when I heard the cost of the car repair. So I will be doing a lot of enlargements and shooting 8x10 this year. At the end of august I will have my darkroom prepped for the new academic year.

13. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are one lucky guy! Enjoy this wonderful machine. If my much smaller L1200 is anything to go by, it will be a joy to use, despite the chunky size of these things.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am even though I will be spending more money then planned this week ;-)

16. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got my enlarger today. It is fully functioning with a remote control to move the head up and down. It is now in storage. Heavy thing. I will be sleeping well tonight that is for sure! Full range of lenses: 300, 210, 180, 150, 80, 40 mm. The range is full enough for me anyway.

17. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you know what mixing/diffusing boxes you got with the CLS color head? You NEED the 8x10 or 10x10 one, the others are not needed, but nice to have if they came with the package.

18. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another thing I want to point out on that CLS head is that the bulb and the dichroic reflector are separate. You know those smaller dichroic lamps are all-in-one, so when the bulb burns out you buy a new bulb with reflector at the same time.

Not so with the CLS 301 head. The reflector is separate from the bulb, and if the dichroic coating peels off the inside, it is very expensive to replace (>$1000). So, I really protect my dichroic reflector by minimizing my bulb on-time. I don't spend a lot of time 'enjoying' my image projected on the baseboard, just enough time to frame and focus. :smile:

19. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two diffusor boxes. One for 10 x 10 and one for smaller formats. So I thinks i am ok here. It seem very complete to me. The guy recently changed the lightbulbs and he gave me 8 spare lamps too. The are halogen lamps 110 volts from GE. When I'm home I'll look up the correct name and type.
    Now I have the daunting task of cleaning out and up my room so I can start using the thing. I want to have it up and running before september first. That's when the new year at the art academy starts again.

20. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lights that are in the enlarger head are 120 volts 250 watts quartzline lamp from general electric. I geuss they did the trick for the previous owner so it'll do it for me as well.

21. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice! You got a fantastic setup.

22. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks I am happy with it. Started yesterday to clear out my room So I can set it all up.

23. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still haven't cleaned out the room completely but enough to set it up. A small sometimes badly lit report is on my blog:
    darkroomninja

24. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice work getting that all put together! I hope you get a lot of good use out of it.

25. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a beast of an enlarger! I don't think I have room for something like that. Good luck with it!

Trond

26. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am lucky to live in a 3-bedroom apartment with my girlfriend. So I do have the room....barely. But starting in January I plan on using it regularly. After making room.