Durst L1000 broken height adjester knob

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by connie2, Jul 17, 2011.

1. connie2

connie2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi

Does anyone know how i could fix the height adjuster knob on the Durst L1000 - mine snapped on the inside casing where the metal rod is attached to over the weekend .

I have managed to improvise with a clamp tool thing which i found in my late dads tool box.

Any suggestions?

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you post a few pics? If I can see what's broke, maybe I can suggest a fix. I have a CE 1000, but I thing the mechanical bits abr quite different.

3. connie2

connie2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok will do once i am back at home

4. connie2

connie2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The attached are front and underside view of the height adjuster knob( the centre bit on the underside cracket and hence why it fell off)

The side view shows the metal rod that the knob was fixed to (can see all thenplastic left on it)

Attached Files:

5. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you mate the knob to the shaft easily, and are there any pieces missing?
    If the plastic on the shaft is not cracked, scrub the glaze off with fine sandpaper, clean it with Ronsonol lighter fluid. Clean the inside of the knob with the lighter fluid, let dry and use JB Weld epoxy to glue it back together. You will need a piece of wood to support the knob for a day until the epoxy cures.
    I'm not sure if the knob was a press fit on the shaft or if it was molded in place.

Your other option is to break the plastic off the shaft, measure the diameter, it might be 6 or 8mm, definitely a metric size, and find a replacement one that is held on with set screws.

6. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would be your easiest option. Ideally find the exact replacement knob. Or find any knob to fit the metal shaft.

7. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hrmm.... Got a Durst column here that I've been nicking bits off. Will have to look in the morning and see if it has a handwheel similar to the pictures.

Edit: Handwheel is attached to a 6mm dia shaft, 92.8mm long (possibly from an M300 series). If it is of use, yours for the postage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It doesn't look like there's enough there to glue the knob back in place.
    If paul_c5X4 doesn't have a knob for you take a look at mcmaster-carr you would need the diameter of the shaft and a size you would have in mind for the knob. I don't know if they have anything with a flip out lever.

9. connie2

connie2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob

i measure the bit of the metal that is visible on the thrird image it is 8-9mm in diameter (this is without taking into account all the plastic still left on the metal) . The inside part of the knob (see middle image) the plastic shaft that the metal went into is the bit that broke over (guess age affected it) therefore there is nothing for the metal tube to go into now or hold onto. The inside depth of the knob is 2.3cm.

10. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A few questions for you:-

• How are you measuring the diameter of the shaft, with a plastic ruler ?
    • Are you mechanically minded and able to remove the shaft without harm ?
    • Location ?

11. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ~6mm = 1/4" Largish knobs are available with a brass insert threaded for that size inexpensively. If the hole in the knob is a little large/small drill it out or use something like JBWeld to fasten it. You wouldn't even have to remove the shaft

12. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You would have to use enough epoxy to fillet the collar on the shaft to the back of the knob. The problem is it's not that easy when the shaft is horizontal and the area you need to work in is "blind". If you can remove the shaft from the housing, doing it is dead easy. You could email Durst USA and see if that knob is available as part without the shaft. If it is then it is a press fit onto the shaft. The focus adjust knob on my Ce1000 is very similar and looks like it was molded onto the shaft.

I don't know about the height adjustment one, as the complete mechanism was missing when I purchased the enlarger, so I had to make one.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. John R.

John R. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contact Durst Pro, they can probably supply you with replacement parts. I have a couple of the lens stage bellows units that have the same knob. I might be willing to part with one of them if you can't find the parts separately. The parts are probably interchangeable but I'm not positive. I have one that is good for several parts but has some pitting of the chrome on the bellows rod. The knob and shaft is nice though. The bellows is fine and other parts too. Send me a PM later if you don't have any luck.

15. connie2

connie2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no a metal tape measure
    the metal thing doesn't look easy to remove as the enlarger weighs alot, and no i am not a mechanic/engineer - i will need to find a man that can.
    South east england

16. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You're not that far from me - Head for Cambridge, turn right :smile:

The shaft will probably have to be remove to effect a repair - If it is like the Durst enlargers I've worked with in the past, the only thing to stop the shaft coming out is a small pin through a gear. A small pinpunch and toffee hammer will get the pin out, and as the shaft is withdrawn, some small shim washers will drop out. Note where the washers came from, and which way round the gear was mounted.

If you pop the broken bits and (most importantly) the shaft in to the post, I'll see if I can repair or replace the handwheel.

17. connie2

connie2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Half of it still stuck to the metal shaft and the rest crumbled away but thanks for the offer. I think it is quite old as i bought if second hand from someone. I have sound an old clamp tool which belonged to my late dad in his tool box, and that works as a temporary measure.

18. connie2

connie2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quick question what is a "small pinpunch and toffee hammer"

19. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a Knob with the 1/4" diameter hole! You won't have to remove the shaft.
    Mix the epoxy, put some in the hole of the knob and put it in place. Use slow curing epoxy it's stronger, let it cure overnight.
    Wham, Bam done.
    So simple even I can do it. Most epoxy is mixed 1:1 so a 1/4" dab of both tubes, mix it with a toothpick or the like & off you go. No man required.
    Use a piece of aluminum foil or waxed paper over the shaft first that way any squeeze out won't get all over the enlarger. Just push the foil/paper onto the shaft.