Durst Laborator L-900 / CLS-450 Negative Carriers

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by rockphotographer, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rockphotographer

rockphotographer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the "bimaneg" diffusion chambers for 6x6, 6x9, and 35mm and a carrier for 6x9 and 35, but need a 120 square or 645....

What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

-Charles

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Diffusion box, you can use the 6x6 for any of the smaller formats. For the neg mask/carrier, you can make a temporary on from some mount board - I have the L1200 and the 35mm mask was originally a bit of black mount board before I scored a set of proper femomasks. For the Bimaneg carrier, I think "Bimamask" would be the name Durst used for the masks..

3. rockphotographer

rockphotographer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool thanks! Does the 1200 use the same focus setup as the 900....where there's a handle on the head left, and a set of two nested knobs on head right? The two knobs on mine apparently are set up for locking the head's vertical travel and for focus adjustment. The lock (outer knob) doesn't seem to lock, and the focus (inner) knob doesn't move the lens stage any......

Thoughts? Things to check?

4. Paul Greening

Paul Greening Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Glenn Evans has some Durst Laborator 900 things. Give him a go.

5. koja

koja Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    first of all L 900 is an autofocus enlarger, hence some differences between him and for example L1200.
    Those two nested knobs - inner one is just locking/unlocking the heads travel (you just push/pull it) and the outer one moves it when the lock is on.

Focusing is entirely another matter. You have the big button at the bottom of the collumn called focusing variator (lock is on the left, actual variator on the right) and both lenses are set in metal rings (zebra stripes on mine) that can be turn around. Idea is that you calibrates the focus for both lenses with the head down, check or recalibrate it with the head up (possible more iterations) by those two metal rings. And the focus variator is adjustment in case you use some printing frame and project your image higher than on baseboard. If you set it all up, then voila, inner mechanism of this baby makes your pictures focused all the time.

I have been struggling with all of this during spring so I hope I could help you a bit. If it is of any use I have some kind of manual in german, could upload it to somewhere.

Cheers,

Jan

6. rockphotographer

rockphotographer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format