Durst M370 Enlarger Negative Holder

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by RebeccaSC, Apr 21, 2006.

1. RebeccaSC

RebeccaSC Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

First time post for me - have been able to get tons of advice from here so thank you for that.

I have a Durst M370 englarger - my first.

First question where and how can I buy a second 35mm negative carrier so I can print with a black border. Tried to make one but the light got in and it messed with the light readings etc. I want to buy a second one and file the edges back to make it larger.

Secondly if I was to upgrade my enlarger what would your advice be - make & brand etc. My enlarger only has a 75w bulb does more light make a big difference?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help - what an incredible place!

2. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not a good idea, if you ask me. Black borders are usually made by placing a cardboard of appropriate size over the photographic paper (to cover the central portion of the image) and exposing the uncovered border to white light (best if done with the enlarger itself after removing the negative).

No, unless you're switching to a bigger format.

The M370 is an excellent enlarger, and it's even expandable to 6x6. If I was you, I'd stick with it.

Cheers - M.

3. RebeccaSC

RebeccaSC Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thankyou Marco was trying to be clever with an Italian reply and fudged it!!

4. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nevermind! :D