Durst transformer hum

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Eric Rose, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a CE1000 with CLE450 color head. A big friggen transformer came with this setup and it sure hums! Is this normal or should I beam up before she blows!

2. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Transformer for my L1200 hums too, so I just hum along with it.
    Don't know if it should or shouldn't though.

3. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had transformers that hum, and identical transformers that don't. I've asked a tech, and he said it could be adjusted to quiet it down. He told me how, but I've forgotten!?!?!? So if anyone knows.....

4. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine doesn't hum.

5. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to check the nuts, bolts and darkroom grounding. Perhaps even flip the mains plug around--- yes, there CAN be differences.
    I don't have but may also suspect that your singing units are the ones with regulated power, ESTnnn in contrast to TRAnnn?
    From experience the TRAnnn don't normally and there should be little reason for them to sing. My magnetic regulators (typ Sola), however, are hot and hum and that's par for the course--- if they don't hum something is wrong.

6. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Sola, nice BIG Voltage Control Unit, and when I got it and plugged it in I was shocked. I called Sola and found out that a lot, and I mean a lot of transformers have a "hum". It's normal for transformers to hum and Sola told me to locate it in another room and wire to the darkroom. It's a very large unit and I know that yours may not be that big and cannot be moved to another room but I can say that it is normal and it's not going out on you.

Curt

7. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Tranformers are basicly big magnets that alternatly attract and repel.

If any part of the transformer or it's casing is slightly loose then it will get vibrated at 50/60Hz. It's not ideal, but it is pretty normal, and not usually a problem. In addition to checking for any loose bolts you can fill the thing up with gel (like shower sealant) which dampens the vibrations. However this is pretty messy and I wouldn't recommend it unless the noise is bad.

Ian