Dusty RZ. Need help.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EricO, Jun 7, 2007.

1. EricO

EricO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just purchased an RZ 67 Pro without caps. I notice that the mirror is dusty. I do I clean this body?

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it really bugs you, try blowing it off. But you risk blowing the dust into places where you'd rather it not go.
    If you leave it alone it's not likely to affect the operation.
    Using a brush can scratch the surface, and for blowing, an ear syringe is good. Using canned air risks getting liquid CO2, or sometimes a powder, depending on the product, onto the mirror.

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A colloidial cleaner will do the job. I have a link at work, though you might be able to find a recipe here or other places on the web. I remember someone suggesting model airplane dope (like paint) and some cloth. Paint a good layer or two in the mirror, then put down the cloth and paint another layer to bond the cloth to the dope. Gently peal of and all the dust, dirt, and oils will be pulled off the mirror. Check DIY telescope websites for what they are using to clean their mirrors.

4. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. EricO

EricO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did the unthinkable. I know you should never touch the mirror but I ever so lightly wiped it wih a lens cloth, only applying about 703.0695e-12 grams of force/cm2 or 10e-12 psi. I hope that this is not frowned upon too much.

6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Use a moist tissue to wipe down the mirror. Try not to scratch it, but don't obsess about it. The mirror has no role in projecting the image onto the film.

There is entirely too much concern about making a tiny mark on SLR mirrors. The mirror is only used for focusing, and even a piece of debris on the mirror can't be seen on the focusing screen unless it's very large or near the hinge of the mirror.

After you clean the mirror, lock it in the up position (if that's possible, as I'm not familiar with this camera). Then wipe down the inside of the camera with a moist cloth. Hold the camera so the lens mount is facing down and lightly blow it out with some compressed air.

7. EricO

EricO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot.