DX Code labels in UK?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Andy K, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently acquired a Nikon F65 with 28-80 Nikkor very cheaply. It is ideal as a glovebox camera, but is useless for using bulk loaded film unless I want to shoot everything at 100 ISO. I have been searching the web for anyone who sells DX coding labels with no luck.

Does anyone know of a UK supplier that still sells these labels?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

2. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Jessops still has them but that availability varies very very widely. Might be easier if you ask someone if they see any to go pick them up. I can't remember if those were 100 or 400, either. I think they were 400 but you might be able to get 100.

Silverprint seem to have a make your own kind of kit for making whatever speed DX coding you need.
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/acc17.html

3. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alternately, you could use the Blue Peter method with some some kitchen foil, superglue and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX_encoding - (remember, no running with scissors in your hands) :wink: ...

Cheers, Bob.

5. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you folks. Looks like Firstcall will be getting an order and I might also try one of the Silverprint kits.

Bob, I may have to try the Blue Peter method. I even have some sticky backed plastic somewhere... :wink:

6. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently bought some of these labels in Jessops so that I could use self-loaded film in my P & S. The dust on the packs suggested that they weren't something Jessops are asked for every day.
    As an aside, I've always wanted to fit a P & S with a yellow/orange filter for B & W but of course that would then end up underexposed if I rely on the DX coding of an over-the-counter cassette to set the film speed. Plan is to fit the filter and then fudge the DX coding so the camera thinks the film is say 50ASA when it's actually 125 ASA with a filter.

Steve

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get DX-coded cartridges, too. I've seen them in both ISO 100 and 400. The labels are cheaper than the cartridges, but not much cheaper.

Of course, as you mentioned, if your camera defaults to 100 then there is no need for the 100 ones. :smile:

As an option, you could always dial in compensation. If you're shooting ISO 200, shoot it in a naked cartridge and dial in -1 stop.

Another option, as silly as it sounds... get a camera with manual ISO settings. They are dirt cheap now. Even the lowly Nikon F50 permits manual ISO setting. The F70 does as well. Neither will cost you a hundred bucks - probably a lot less than that. It's surprising what $35 or $50 will get you in a camera.

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, I have several all manual cameras, an OM-1, Voigtlander Bessaflex and R3M... I got the Nikon as a cheap snapshot camera to keep in the car glovebox. It is an ok camera, but very plasticky and cheap and nasty feeling.

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suggest you get a different cheap snapshot camera then. :smile: An F50 will set you back only twenty or thirty dollars - those DX labels will eat up that much money in very little time.

Not that long ago this would be a ludicrous suggestion, but now it actually makes sense!

A friend *gave* me an F70 recently... it's only worth about fifty dollars. It's my casual AF camera now.