Dye-bath sensitizing modern films?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by htmlguru4242, Oct 2, 2012.

1. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know this has been asked before, but I can't find it.

Can modern films be sensitized by soaking them in a bath of dye solution, as published in some old literature? I came across some info while reading about old IR films last night, and figured that it might be interesting to try.

Anybody tried this or have some answers?

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you talking about hypersensitizing a film? Modern films are already sensitized.

3. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No - I know that that's pretty much a no go. There [at least used to] be a way to take ortho or blue-sensitive films and dip them in fora dye bath to sensitize for red or infrared.

4. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, think about it, for some reason most current B&W film are sensitive to red light already, some special ones even to IR ....

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Basically it's possible but you need that expensive dye, make an apt solution in proper solvent, dip the film, not knowing about the proper time, the drying conditions, the interaction with the film dyes, the adverse effects on other elements in the film...

6. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, IR and red sensitive films are available, but IR ones are expensive, and there's no spirit of experimentation involved.

Some IR dyes, such as neocyanine, are quite cheap, especially considering how little the old literature says is needed.

I have a ton of X-Ray film hanging around, so I'm thinking that it may be worthwhile to experiment with IR-sensitizing it.

Aside from that, it's fun and educational to re-invent the wheel sometimes ...

7. desertrat

desertrat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can get the dye, and already have lots of film to experiment with, I would say go for it! Let us know how it works out.

I've thought of a project for my long term do list, to buy some blue sensitive X-ray film, which I believe has no sensitizing dyes added, and use Erythrosin B to make it orthochromtic. I know where to get the dye, and like you say, it might be fun. I can buy green sensitive X-ray film that is more or less orthochromatic already, but Erythrosin B should make it sensitive into the orange part of the spectrum, with a 'hole' in the blue-green, which I probably don't need anyway.

8. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format