Dye Transfer Low Contrast Separations and thinking on Leica Lens Design Paper

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I learned that additional unsharp low contrast separations used at dye transfer print technology to increase the edge effects and sharpness.
    I found an paper at chinese websites about analysis of elcan archive summicron 35 drawings and above technology sparked my imagination.
    The most fundemental thing about summicron , that it is symmetrical design. When light entrance side lens elements is put like (((((( , after the aperture all lenses turn to )))))) side.

And most importantly , when you analysis one side with computer , some aberrations - means unsharpness is very high.
    At the other side , the high aberrations turns to negative and compensate the first.

Other thing I learned from the dye transfer , when the separations made with RGB , unsharp low contrast separations made with free selected color filters.

I think Leica secret is the high aberrations in the lens elements and their compensation and the colors used to calculate the characters of high aberration low contrast unsharp masking lens elements.

Wow !

Umut

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which "secret" has been used on all symmetrical lens designs since the 1860s.:confused:

3. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure if I understand.

do you mean that a superposition of unsharp images is equivalent to the superposition of a sharp image with exposure modulated by unsharp masks and filters?

If that's what you mean then the answer is no. You can't superpose blurry images to get a sharp image. If you could then all you'd have to do is shoot a thousand pictures, all blurry, all identical (various narrow band color filtrations) and print them with corresponding filtration--you still get a blurry image superposition--although it would be a very high resolution blurry image though.