E-6 Pro Labs Worlwide

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Stephen Frizza, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With the discontinuance of kodaks E-6 family and the reduction in Fuji's equivalents, As a pro lab owner I am very curious so to what labs further afield are planning in the coming year? How many labs are still running E-6 in your area and how fast are their turn around times? do they process via drum, roller transport, or dip and dunk?
    While At current my Dip and Dunk line is healthy I am trying to speculate on 2013 and 2014 years of Operation and information on what other labs around the world are doing would be very handy.

Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My nearest lab is about 1500 km away as the crow flies (The Lab Vancouver). I send them my slide film and they do same day, dip and dunk. I'm not close enough to them to know about future plans but in Vancouver there are still a couple of labs offering the service.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are two labs that I use, depending on how much I want to drive and what film I have. My closest, Jack's Camera, runs their RT E-6 once or twice a week, depending on demand. My other lab, Colourworks, runs their dip and dunk daily. Both labs are in the northeast US, near Philadelphia.

5. debanddg

debanddg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From India ->

My closest lab is also more than 1500 km away.. they do drum processing and do a same day service if and only if the volume of work sent + already piled up stuff calls for a run with fresh chemicals.. so not a rosy picture.. on an average turn around time is approximately 10 days.

6. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    'Blue Moon Camera & Machine' and 'Citizens Photo' both in Portland, OR, USA.
    Same day service for AM walk-ins, but I have to mail - 5 days total turnaround.

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Live in Connecticut, USA.

Seems my local lab will do 24 hour turnaround on 35mm E-6 but a WEEK turnaround on 120 and not even site about anything LF.

I don't know their process but the have "a guy" who does the 120. Heck even the B&W 120 can take up to a week :/

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. spatz

spatz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use vision imagelab in redfern, sydney and they usually have a 2 hour turnaround w' dip'n'dunk. I was once lucky enough to drop off my film, venture to sydney uni for a 1 hour lecture and return to find my films ready. A quick turnaround for me at least is a luxury but needless to say the quality control must be there, which with vision i find to be very good.

i'm very much preaching to the converted but i do hope e6 stays alive in some shape or form.

btw Stephen, i just noticed you operate your lab in sydney as well. where exactly are you located?

9. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had been using Dwayne's through the Wal-Mart send-out. Then Wal-Mart decided that for print film they would no longer return negatives; instead you got prints and a CD. I switched to Meijer, ,who also uses Fuji for their send-out, so Dwayne's was still getting the work. I'd been getting slides back in 10-12 days from Wal-Mart, but through Meijer it was taking 16 days. When Creve Coeur Camera opened in Springfield just a few miles from where I work, I started having them do the slides. They use a lab in St. Louis and I have my slides back in 4-5 working days, so about a week turnaround.

10. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in a city of about 750,000 here in Japan and I can get E-6 films (both 35mm and 120) done in 2-3 hours from a little mom and pop camera shop close to where I used to live downtown. I don't know what process they use, however, as my Japanese is limited, and of all the staff who work there (3-4), only one seems to know anything about the film or darkroom stuff (and he's not usually there).

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    my nearest pro lab that can process 35mm is 40mins, and bigger than than 120 film is almost 2 hours away
    i used to have 3 maybe .. 4 labs within 30-40mins now there is 1 prolab standing ..
    and who knows for how long ...

12. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here in Los Angeles/surrounding area we have a few "offerings" for professional film processing. Here's my preferences:

Icon LA
    Kodak chemicals for all film/print processing.
    E-6/C-41/BW all formats 35mm to 11x14 via dip-n-dunk
    www.iconla.com

Datachrome
    Kodak chemicals for everything.
    E-6 only 35mm->8x10. Small lab, but she(Rochelle Burch, owner/operator) does a wonderful job with my E-6 film!
    www.data-chrome.com
    (949) 863-0873

Samy's Santa Barbara
    Fuji chems for everything
    E-6 & C-41 35mm->8x10 via dip-n-dunk. B/W up to 4x5 is done in a Jobo IIRC...
    sbminilab@samys.com
    (805) 963-7269

cheers,

Dan

13. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In Boston, MA You can get same day service for all formats E-6 up to 8X10:
    Colortek (Downtown Bsoton)
    Color services (Needham)
    Dorian labs (Arlington, a bit far out)

I think they all do dip and dunk.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In Perth we still have two dip and dunk. Runnng three days a week. Giving Kodak the bird and moving to Fuji chemicals and reprofiling all their stuff for Fuji.

The big problem is the discontinuance of slide mounts for the mounting machines Kodak sold here. No 35mm slide mounting, theyre scouring the world for a solution!

Other problem is Ilford products have such slow delivery in Australia. Bernadette at Churchills says she often waits 5 months for a delivery chemicals and film etc to sell. So doesnt bother now.

Daniel.

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wow, colortek is still alive ?
    i heard they went deep 6 about 8 years ago
    its good to see they are still around !

these 3 labs are the closest thing to me in RI to do anything bigger than 120 / 135 ...

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hmmm good to know... Man I hope there's a get together soon in CT/MA/RI that would be nice to meet some of you guys :smile:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

18. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well colortek is deep, underground that is in their basement level outfit across from south station. Maybe thays where they always were.

I remmeber the bad old days of renaissance behind the cemetery... man there was something going on there. There was another place i am forgetting now, in southern RI (if there even is such a thing at all), that is south of PVD, on 95, that did custom framing, printing and E-6. I figured they are still around.

Of course there is the japanese lab in NYC, but who wants to give any business to that awful city (great lab by the way), along with insudstrial color but they seem to no longer do any actual film stuff...

19. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I onc estoppedat a place in at a place in Bondi Beach australia, of all places that had a real dip and dunk machine. Granted that was in 2006, i am wondering if they are still around...?

20. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a lab at Bondi called Pix Photomedia that does C41 dip and dunk, but not E6.
    Mr Frizza, who started this thread, used to have his lab further up the hill on Bondi Rd around that time where he did E6 dip and dunk.

21. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I still do E-6 dip and dunk im now in Norwest however I am not interested in which labs still do it. What I want to know from people using other labs is what the staff in these labs have indicated about the longevity of this service and what are other labs intentions to continue this process via dip and dunk into the distant future.

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of the leading manufacturers of slide-mounting machines was located in Germany. They left that product sector in 2009...

Maybe one of the remaining slide-mount manufacturers could consider to make mounts compatible to those machines. But most probably that would mean being paid for the whole operation including tools...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  23. rhcgn

rhcgn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Germany the situation quite good, I read somewhere (sorry, no source) that Germany always had the largest per capita consumption of positive film worldwide. There are pro-labs doing dip and dunk in all the large cities. Also we have the giant labs that service the mom and pop photo stores and drugstores, with a turnaround of less than a week. I personally drop off my films at my regular photo store, while they do c-41 in a minilab themselves, they send e-6 to Fuji. I pay 3 Euros ($3.96) per film (135/120), with a turnaround of 4 working days. Quality has always been perfect. The drug stores are even cheaper, however, I like the personal contact in my store that sends them off to fuji. 135 you can still order framed. Pro Labs are obviously pricier, I attached a current price-list of a local one I sometimes use for important stuff. ("Kleinbild" means 135, SW=BW, prices are in Euro and include 19% VAT)

Kind regards from Germany.

Attached Files:

24. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    $4! That's so cheap!! I would stop home processing E-6 if it were that cheap here...

Also, question, are the slide mounts that were discontinued paper or plastic? When I was visiting Dwayne's Photo in 2010 the son told me they they has considered using the plastic slides "like everybody else" but decided they prefer the paper and were sticking to that.

So I'm curious whether they are going to have an issue or not.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stone,

The slide-mounts I was refering to were two-part plastic ones.

26. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those labs are getting less. In my vicinity there is a city of 250,000. There is no analogue lab (neither film nor paper) left I know of.