E-6 Processing woes - Update

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Jacko1729, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Jacko1729

Jacko1729 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to all who tried their best to help me during my angst with E-6 processing ( http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31028 )

Just wanted to tell you a couple of things that really improved the process, at least to the point where I am very happy with the results. The first thing was, the thermometer I was using wasn't very accurate (or at least it didn't agree with any other one). I settled on the thermometer supplied with the CPE-2 kit, which wound up having me process about 1.5 degress F warmer. Also, I switched my rotation speed from 1 to 2, which is much faster (the Jobo literature suggested this). So, after mixing a fresh batch of chemistry and just starting from scratch, this is what I wound up with:

Fuji Velvia 100, processed in Tetenal 3 bath E-6
    [​IMG]

I'm sure I'll get better as I go along (hopefully). I am going to experiment with the ph changes to alter color shifts, but it's just not that big of a deal right now. Still learning, but happy :smile:

Thanks everyone!

Jack

2. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say that's pretty good. I like it.

If I can ever get my hands on a processor I may try doing some E6 myself as well. Those rolls of Velvia 50 I have shouldn't just sit in my film drawer.

3. ccbob

ccbob Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear you're making progress, Jack. Nice image, as well.

I'm thinking about trying this myself. I don't have a Jobo processor, but was thinking about using my Paterson tank.

4. Jacko1729

Jacko1729 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Bob! You can flat do it with a Paterson tank. I was doing the inversion process for a while, but I had a real crapola tank which made it hard to do. In all honesty, I think temperature was killing me, I had no idea my thermometer (brand new) was so far off. I think I said it wrong in my OP, but it was 1 1/2 degrees Celcius, and that's a bunch! Irregardless, my results now are no comparison to what I was getting :smile:

5. ccbob

ccbob Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Jack!

I went ahead and ordered an E-6 kit from FreeStyle. It's enough to make 32 oz. My Paterson tank is capable of holding two 35mm reels, which I think amounts to using just under 20 oz of chemicals. This should be enough for me to experiment with.

Now if I could get off this mandatory overtime, maybe I'd get some time to actually try it.

BTW, are you using a single-shot method, or reusing the developer?

6. Jacko1729

Jacko1729 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm reusing. Right now I'm processing two rolls at the time using about 500ml of fresh chemistry. I'll then reuse that same 500ml 2 more times (six rolls) and adjust first developer time for each successive run. I'm still in the 'testing' phase, but so far I haven't seen any noticeable difference re-using. I'm working out of a 5 liter kit, so I'm mixing fresh about every week or two. It's working so far :smile:

7. ccbob

ccbob Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool :smile:

Thanks for all the info.

8. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great. Now you've got me thinking I'll do my own now. Nic image BTW.

D.

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just in case anyone is interested, I do have a complete Kodak E6 Kit that I would like to find a new home for, it is a single use kit designed to make 5 liters and is a 7 step kit, I am sure I could make a decent deal on it for someone.

Dave

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Jack,

I certainly wouldn't complain at that. I've been processing slides at home for about 44 years and have had a lot of books published (check www.rogerandfrances.com).

Cheers,

Roger

11. fatboy22

fatboy22 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave,

I use this chemistry currently. Is it in date? PM me with how much you want for it including shipping. I think a new kit from adorama is about $50.

Jamie

12. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jamie,

I bought the kit about 6 months ago......I don't know what it would cost to ship, as it is liquid and it is heavy, so I don't know, it may be worth my time, to just go ahead and use it, as I did pay a bit more for it than $50 because I had to pay the hazardous fees on it..

thanks though..

Dave

13. Jacko1729

Jacko1729 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Derek! Success at last :smile:

14. Jacko1729

Jacko1729 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Roger. I appreciate the vote of confidence! You've got a lot of interesting stuff on your site. You just need one more camera :smile: