E-6 Rehal Processing

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Athiril, Mar 21, 2014.

  1. Athiril

    Athiril Subscriber

    Messages:
    2,947
    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, V
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Alright, so today my 98% sulphuric acid arrived, so I decided to get around to doing this and posting a result.

    The process was basically as follows:

    E-6 First Developer and First Wash as normal, then B&W Reversal bleach.

    This removed the B&W negative, leaving a B&W positive. Was then washed, and colour developed, bleached, washed (possibly didn't wash enough here), colour developed again, and then run as normal from there.

    So it got 2 stages of colour development. The highlights are fully clear, with a pink bias, either from staining from not washing enough, or the rehal bleach made some undevelopable halide developable (such as displacing silver iodide to silver bromide?). If that's the case, the film could use a short duration in something like 1g/L potassium thiocyanate to re-clear the highlights in the halide positive to prevent this.

    The film was Elitechrome 100. The saturation really is this excessive on a light table. All I've done is correct close to what it looks like on a table, minus the pink highlights (the clouds now appear white, instead of pink) - forgot to bring the original scan back with me to show that, but this will do for now to get an idea.


    I don't have normal EBX 100 dMax values to post, but you can probably find them in the Kodak data sheet, the dMax values for this process I got were 4.51, 4.7, 4.29. Which is massive.


    I inspected the images after the first colour development stage.. where it had B&W positive stacked with the colour positive.. those also looked quite incredible, and I would like to try that with skipping the bleach.. just fixing.


    [​IMG]
     
  2. stefan4u

    stefan4u Member

    Messages:
    154
    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Shooter:
    35mm
    Goodness, Great!!! :smile:

    Dear Athiril, outstanding Results, thank you for posting.

    This is what I hoped to see, if doing this kind of processing.
    It could be worth a try for your aged Kodak EPN too. Of course the results will be much less dramatic than with fresh material…

    You could try to add NaOH in fractions to the CD, this should reduce the blue/magenta bias by pronouncing yellow a bit more.

    Regards stefan
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  3. Photo Engineer

    Photo Engineer Subscriber

    Messages:
    25,773
    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like you can give it 1 or 2 stops more exposure.

    This is to be expected.

    PE
     
  4. Truzi

    Truzi Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,770
    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2012
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I have to be careful how I say this because voice tone can't be used.
    I'm asking out of curiosity, as I am truly interested; I'm not being flippant.

    Why are you doing this?
     
  5. stefan4u

    stefan4u Member

    Messages:
    154
    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Shooter:
    35mm
  6. Athiril

    Athiril Subscriber

    Messages:
    2,947
    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, V
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's detail in the blacks, since they're in the original developed image before the amplification, the density is just beyond the scanner, and and also the blacks need to be 'crushed' like that anyway on the scan to show what the highlights to midtone contrast look like because the screen cant display that contrast range that a good backlight through the film can.

    Would be great for projection though.

    There were some indoor test shots, you still clip the highlights with increasing exposure.



    Curiousity. I've wondered for a long time what something like this would look like. Also when people suggest ideas, or something would probably be X, you never really get to see any examples.

    I want to try some Velvia 50 now, perhaps on a sky alone, or perfectly flat lit object.. maybe some macro work.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  7. Truzi

    Truzi Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,770
    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2012
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, thanx. Sounded similar to that thread and I was wondering if fogging had anything to do with the experiment. I think I've only heard of this with C-41 so far.