E100G vs E100vs for autumn?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Chris Nielsen, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all

I have shot E100G recently and loved the look, got a week of autumn colour shooting coming up this month and I am wondering if it is the right film to take or if E100VS might be a better choice? I know VS has more saturation but concerned that it is probably a lot more contrasty as well and whether that might be an issue on sunny, contrasty days?

I thought I could maybe take some of each, perhaps use the VS on the overcast days and the G on the sunny days? Or should I just take VS and be done with it?

If someone was to ask you which you would take for autumn foliage, which would you take?

Thanks

Chris

2. sgpix

sgpix Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My first choice for autumn foliage would be E100VS. It actually handles the contrast of sunny days quite well, I've found. In that regard, I prefer it over something like Velvia 50, which always seems to give me either empty shadows or blown highlights on a sunny day.

I also like that E100VS doesn't give me a blue cast in overcast conditions, like Velvia 50 tends to do without something like an 81B filter in front of it.

3. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've tried Velvia, I really have, but I just can't seem to get on with it.

4. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E100VS has a slightly warmer look than E100G. It depends if you want to go for saturation or accuracy.

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd opt for G or, better yet, GX if you can find some after the '09 discontinuation.Not sure what NZ fall colour looks like but VS wasn't flattering to the pumped fall colour here in Ontario, Canada. G with a warming filter is another option.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not use both and compare.

Jeff

7. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E100GX.

I think most of the world's remaining stock is in my freezer.

8. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not counting mine, of course.

9. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think our fall colour looks as good as the stuff in the Northern hemisphere but it's still pretty decent apparently.

Shall give this some thought. Quickly as I need to order shortly....

10. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quick question - would a skylight filter count as a warming filter? I have one here, I use it to keep my 50mm lenshood from falling off my the RB, and it does look slightly warm, but I tried G with and without and didn't see much difference

11. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Probably not. Have a look here to see what's what:

http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

12. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E100G + an 81B filter is a good combination, close to E100GX, that gives a slightly warmer than real life but not Disneyfied palette.

13. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1. Very close. Always liked the E100SW/GX look. For "big sky" landscapes up here, the Cokin #173 Blue/Yellow polarizer is a stunner with E100G.

14. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on what you are going to do with the pictures. E100G is a fairly standard film in terms of contrast and color. It would be a better choice for scanning IMO, as it will render things with more detail and less contrast, which you can later change when preparing the digital file for printing. That can all be discussed at DPUG dot org.

But if you want to project or show the transparencies directly to people, and you want high saturation, then I would shoot the E100VS.

You also are on the right track with your G in contrasty light and VS in flatter light ideas.

If you want to print Ilfochromes, I would also go with the lower contrast and lower saturation film unless you really want extreme saturation.

In any case, filtering in camera on overcast days would generally be a good move when shooting transparencies. Depending on what you want, one of the 81 series filters is a good general starting place. When shooting color landscapes, I always try to have an 81A and an 81C on hand.

15. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, I have ordered 3 propacks of E100G and an 81b filter. Thanks for the advice everyone!