E6 4x5 lab?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Peter De Smidt, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Folks,

I'd like to find a lab that does 4x5 E6. Ideally, they'd be located within a drivable distance to fond du lac, WI 54935, but any good mail order places would be worthwhile knowing about as well.

TIA,
    Peter

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  3. erickson

erickson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get all my slides processed at Carl's Darkroom. E-6 is all they really do, so that's what they're good at.

http://www.carlsdarkroom.com/

I'm lucky enough to live in driving distance. But I understand that most of their business actually comes from mail order.

4. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The only place in my area that I can get MF or LF E6 processing really sucks so I had to go mail order. I took a friend's advice and tried Calypso Imaging (http://www.calypsoinc.com) and I'm happy with their service.

5. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks! I developed my first E6 last night. Initially, I wasn't thrilled with the results, but now that they've dried they look good. I'm not sure, though, that I'll shoot enough E6 to make keeping the chemicals on hand worthwhile. Having some good commercial lab options will be helpful.

6. mark

mark Member

Another vote for Calypso.

7. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Peter,
    All the labs in Milwaukee who did 4x5 E6 have closed..Evan Clarke

8. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can personally recommend the lab I work for...Newlab in San Francisco, CA. We specialize in E-6! We use Reframa dip & dunk, multiple control strips every day, Q-lab standards, etc. Here is a link to the website:
    http://www.newlab.com If you decide to send film to us, put it to my attention (Matt Osborne) and mention APUG. I'll make sure you get a discount.
    Adios,
    Matt

9. pwitkop

pwitkop Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photographic traditions of Maine (http://www.photographictraditions.com/) does dip-n-dunk E6. They bought the machine from Portland Color when went all digitial (I don't think they're even called Portland Color anymore).

Peter

10. Bobby Ironsights

Bobby Ironsights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OH THANK GOD!!!

Ilfochrome! Affordable!
    E6! AFFORDABLE!!
    ALL OPTICAL !!!
    NO DIGITAL!!!!
    YAY!!!

YAY for Photographic Traditions!!!

11. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just curious, in regards to Ilfochrome, what is your definition of affordable?

12. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    they're not cheap

13. jmcd

jmcd Member

New Lab

New Lab in San Francisco is absolutely awesome.

14. pwitkop

pwitkop Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They do custom optical printing, which isn't cheap. For what they do, the price is good IMO, and everyone down there is great to deal with.

15. Bobby Ironsights

Bobby Ironsights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, Ciba isn't cheap, no matter what, but being Canadian, and having the nearest lab want 9 bucks canadian (8.98 american) per 4x5, and the only ilfochrome printer I could find was like 1500 miles away down in Toronto was talking about minimum runs and all the extras, and with staggering prices, well...I'm thrilled by this.

Also, I like how they talk, like "send us a master print and we will match it" and "for printing chromes, if you have a contrast mask...send it and we'll try to use it, if we can't we'll make one up, here is a list of our reasonable prices"....and "the exhibition prices include sending the ciba print back up to three or more times if not satisfied with density, saturation or contrast"

But maybe I'm just giddy with the thought of paying less than a third of what I'd pay for prolab services up here in frost-on-balls, Northwestern Ontario, Canada.

Or maybe I'm just thrilled with finally looking at a website that doesn't have fifteen different catagories for the digital services they provide and a film slot or two as an afterthought.