E6 Builds Character

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by CGW, Mar 14, 2012.

1. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think so. Maybe he can be better in the darkroom by printing them in Cibachromes.

3. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To me it was just so weird that after all that talk about how E6 is so amazing he ends with.. "In conclusion, I know and accept that for better or worse, I am stuck with digital photography. From a cost and convenience perspective, I can’t imagine going back to film of any kind."...wait, what??

4. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Below is a portrait I captured in 2000, shot on Kodachrome 64 slide film using a Leica M6 and a 35 Summicron. The scan does not quite look like the slide, but at least I know what it’s supposed to look like. The slide is so sharp that you can see the embers in the cigarette clearly with a loupe."

That slide being referenced is just bloody awful, yes, just that — even from a Leica! I have seen much more competent images from an Olympus XA and Epson V700 scan that do show every detail faithfully. Not much credibility to the rant about digital other than to add that he jumped over too hastily without taking slides to the max. He learnt nothing at all. The final statement is the leave-page cue: lazy, incompetent and prejudiced.

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Digital is for those who enjoy corrupted, unusable digital files in 2025.

I know for a fact that I will be enjoying the advances in scanning technology in 2025.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  6. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Aw. I missed the joke. First post gone. poof!

7. David Brown

David Brown Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of us knew this decades ago. I'm so glad that someone who "started pursuing photography as a serious hobby in 1999" is around to remind us ... :whistling:

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't " take up photography seriously in 1999", but in 1952 , one way that shooting slides has improved my photography over the years is it's taught me to precisely frame my shots, be exact in my metering, and calculating the exposure.

9. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All those unskilled cowards like me bracketed :wink:

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 1999, I had been using (not "shooting") slide film for 28 years. In 1971, I was getting about 30-35 keepers per roll, not 4 or 5. What I learned from slide film was how to meter properly when exposing it and how to control temperature when processing it.:confused:

11. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to frequent Luminous Landscape a lot before realizing it's populated 99% by pixel peepers and gear masturbaters. The editorial contributors are very similar being mostly self proclaimed experts, weekend warriors with high paying day jobs like lawyers, doctors and engineers who spend obscene amounts of money on equipment and then bury themselves in the technical stuff to make up for the lack of any kind of aesthetic sense. I'm so happy I found APUG, it's like a breath of fresh air in the putrid stench that are internet forums.

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True.:smile: But, LL can be very amusing at times.:laugh:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I read the story in the link.

Sad that the writer never projected any of those thousands of slides. He threw away 80% of his slides and he never knew if the best might have gone in the bin because he didn't project them.

I am only a hack but I know that my best photos are not always the most technically perfect.

I also know that slides were meant to be projected. When people talk about the narrow latitude of slides or the over saturation of the colors they are forgetting the projection light will balance all that out.

Sometimes I think a copy photo taken off the projection screen is a better representation of a slide than a direct scan.

We are still a long. long way off before digital media can match the beauty and 3D look of projected slides.

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it always seems to come down to a triumph for convenience over quality.

Engineers are highly paid? When did that happen?

Steve.

17. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Amen, brother.

Luminous Landscape used to be one of my daily hits, but I've chosen a path different from Mr. Reichmann & Co.

Consider also this article featured recently:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_making_of_sugarloaf_rock.shtml

18. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some years back, friends got Pro Cabin and Kindermann projectors for very few $. Had a pile of unmounted Scala and later larger piles E100GX and Velvia 6x6 and 6x7. A couple times annually with food and booze, we have a "Jurassic" night and invite a few strays from the digital side over to gawk and gasp. Fun!

21. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not give much credibility to Luminous Landscape, especially third-party written articles like the one at the crux of this discussion. In many places there is evidence of plagiarism and similarity to what another photographer has said, that being Ken Rockwell. Of the two, KR has some useful, well-founded information. The visit to LL earlier this week was probably my first in about 4 years. As for the writer taking up slides from 1999, well, I wonder how it strikes him that photographers around the world have been using slide film since Nelson lost an eye? I don't go back as far as some on APUG, but I started in 1978 with Kodachrome and continued that for 10 years before shifting to Fuji, which I still use. We should be grateful for being members of a skilled, switched-on, experienced and knowledgeable community that is APUG: many people do look to those with lots of experience for advice and they have made a wise choice in light of the terrible mash of heresy and bullshit that propagates digital-weighted photographic forums. That's my Friday Rage and Rant. Now I'll have my brekky! :tongue:

22. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    He's very hard to take these days--smug, self-important, and just as aesthetically challenged as ever. He used to get flamed 5-8 years ago as shill for Canon since he enjoyed what appeared to be a very privileged relationship with them. The site's still worth a look for its reviews of new toys. Happy that his sample resolution shots now seem to be a bit more diverse than the satellite dishes atop the CBC building in downtown Toronto. I was starting to recognize the pigeons!

23. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bracketing News photos....not!

No bracketing when you used Ektachrome for Photojournalism.

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not when I was an engineer either I can assure you Steve.

25. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Engineers (and scientists) are now in ever higher demand and are thus commanding higher salaries than ever before. In the US and many other western countries, there has been a big drop in the number of STEM students (STEM= sci, tech, engr, & math) and that is now catching up to us. Suddenly a lot of our technical talent has to be imported from abroad and, lo and behold, the big innovations are coming from abroad too. We're just beginning to see the tip of the iceberg right now, but the projections are already pretty clear: we're going to have a massive domestic shortage of young people with technical skills. And to add insult to injury, we've also got a mountain of student loan debt and students who can't get jobs. So there is a big disconnect between the kind of capabilities that the workplace needs, and the kind of capabilities that colleges and universities nurture.

If this issue interests you, let me refer you to a graphic which presents the stats very clearly:

http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/biotech/image/8430736/?ref_id=8430665

People like me (with one foot in academia and one foot in the "real world") are desperately trying to convince leaders of the magnitude of this problem. The situation is really dire and sets us up for a period of technological stagnation (as eloquently described by Tyler Cowen in his nice little book, The Great Stagnation).

Okay, I will now step back from the lectern / pulpit, sorry :whistling:

~~~

Yes, the E6 process is very demanding and it requires very good metering and knowledge of light.

26. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hear, hear. Good, if somewhat meandering, post. Interesting graphic on the link. Important for people of my generation (i'm 31), especially.