E6/C 41 chem compatibilty

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by brucemuir, Nov 4, 2009.

1. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I apologize in advance if this has been covered but I completely suck at searching this site (is it just me? :surprised: )

Can anyone tell me what chemicals/components are interchangeable between c41 and E6?

I would assume the first developers can be used with either process but the color developer would not due to the chemical reversal component in some?

Are the bleaches the same?

Fixer should be the same?

What about final rinse.

Thanks for any insight here.

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The bleach is interchangeable (I believe, I know the processes use two different bleaches) fixer is, neither of the developers are interchangeable with acceptable results. The final rinses are interchangeable, but you still need the pre-bleach to achieve proper stability.

3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe to refine the bleach question, E6 bleach, a stronger than c-41 bleach is fine on c-41, but c-41 bleach chemistry's action is not sufficiently active to bleach all required surplus dyes. I believe this is a side effect of slide film being colour former rich, while neg film is colour former starved. So e6 has more colur former dyes along with elemental silver that formed the image to bleach away

4. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would interchange only fixer. A traditional formalin-based stabilizer should also work in any process, be it "3-bath" E6, real E6 or C-41 with older and current films.