early Canon RF

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by David Lyga, Aug 29, 2011.

1. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just bought an early Canon RF that has NO model number on it. It came with 1.9/50mm and 4/100mm Serenar lenses, all perfect glass and mechanics. The body is a question, however. The slow speeds (which do not work except for 1 sec and 1/2 sec) are as follows: 1/25, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, T. Which model is this and is there a value you can suggest? The body is in excellent cosmetic condition and its faster speeds: 1/25 through 1/1000 work fine. Thanks. Paid $30 for all! - David Lyga

2. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh yes, I forgot to say that the slow speed knob is on the front, to the upper left of the lens mount and that film advance is via a round knob on top. - David Lyga

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just Google: early canon rangefinder cameras

4. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Give us the serial number and I can tell you what model you have. Also point you toward some websites for more info.

Jim B.

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does it have a rail on the left side for the proprietary flash gun? If so, I would guess it;s a IVs2.

7. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry for the delay with my response but Hurricane Irene did some damage to some photo equipment I had stored. Such is life.

First, MACKINAW: the serial numbers are as follows: RF body: 55297, 1.9/50mm Serenar: 47219, 4/100 Serenar: 46706.

Now, Anscojohn: there is an accessory shoe on the top of the camera. The body looks like an old FED and the back does not swing open but, instead, film must be loaded from the bottom. - David Lyga

8. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear about Hurricane Irene.

A serial number of 55297 means you have either a Canon IIC, III or IV. These are basically the same camera with just minor differences separating the three. By looking at the Canon Museum website, you can probably narrow it down to the camera you own.

As for the lenses, see Peter Kitchingman's Canon Rangefinder website for more info:

http://www.canonrangefinder.servehttp.com/

Jim B.

9. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for the info, Jim. When I have the opportunity I will research this. - David Lyga

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Like to know where yoy shop!!!

11. X. Phot.

X. Phot. Guest

My canon is SN 58288; (III). I love it. I would have a difficult time if we were ever separated.

12. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Red Robin: I placed an ad buying cameras and stating that I do not pay much. I was rewarded with this buy. The guy did not want it: it was his deceased father's. - David Lyga

13. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    X Phot: yes there is something about the design of this camera. Admittedly, the 1.9 Serenar is NOT as good as the 1.7 Canon lens on the much later Q17. - David Lyga

14. X. Phot.

X. Phot. Guest

The nice aspect of this camera, like all that have the Leica Thread Mount, is that there are tons of lenses that actually fit and function. Mine currently wears a Nikkor-H 50mm 1:2, but, a number of FSU lenses have also worked fine. I really appreciate the single viewfinder for composing and focusing. Auxiliary vieiwfinders can also be placed on the shoe for ease of composing.

You may already be aware of the rarity of the camera. Just over 10,000 being produced. I figure a good portion of those have been lost over time. Yours is only the third or fourth that I've heard of in past year.
    http://www.collection-appareils.fr/canon/html/canon_III.php

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  15. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, X PHOT, there is an accessory that fits on the camera's shoe for the 100mm lens that corrects parallax by slowly angling downward as you turn its dial to closer distances. Its not a lens, but merely a tiny tube with clear glass at each end with the dial in the back. I would love to know what the camera, 50mm, and 100mm are worth. I have checked the site (run by a 'Peter K') mentioned previously but information is limited and the page for the actual camera (not the lenses) is 'under construction'. The lens prices indicate about $150 each but I think that it would be a cold day in hell before any retailer paid even remotely towards that price, given the horrible economy out there (anyone need a bookkeeper in Philadelphia?) - David Lyga.

16. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David-------You may want to consider posting any Canon rangefinder questions on RFF (rangefinder forum). The Canon sub-forum on RFF is fairly active, and a lot of Canon rangefinder aficionados who can offer good advice, hang out there. Peter Kitchignman frequents RFF too.

Jim B.

17. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. goamules

goamules Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Canon rangefinders got me back into 35mm film a couple years ago, after a 20 year break. I've had two IVSBs, a VI-T, a 7sV. But I kept one of the IVSBs because they are so small and neat. Like a swiss watch.