Early Nikon F with FTN prism?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by weebz, Oct 14, 2012.

1. weebz

weebz Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So I recently got an early nikon F, 641xxx, and I purchased a a metered FTN prism off ebay because the prism that was on it is cracked. I just got it and it wont fit. I did a little reading and what I found is this prism isn't supposed to fit the early Fs. I was wondering if there was a way to make it fit, or if I just need to get a different prism?

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Remove the nameplate?

3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you set the prism in place, you'll notice there are raised sections on each side and beneath the eyepiece. The newer cameras don't have them. I assume they're some sort of light trap/baffle to prevent light from creeping in from under the prism.

4. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The raised bits on either side of the eyepiece slot have to be removed, so they are flush with the top of the body.

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those areas that interfere with seating the FTN meter can be filed down. This should be done carefully to prevent filings from getting into the camera.

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Filing the camera...that doesn't sound at all like it will end badly. :blink:

C&P from the Mir site - " The additional finder release lever activates a pair of claws which cinch the meter on to the body via the "Nikon" bodyplate. Older F's (serial numbers before 6900000) may need some filing to get the nameplate to accept the FTn properly."

This page - :http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...aeliu/cameras/nikonf/ffinders/fmeterprism.htm

The nameplate is held on by two screws. Remove the nameplate and round off the bottom corners with a #5 or #6 file, reinstall.

7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That same page on the MIR site mentions the modification to the top deck of the camera, under one of the older meter heads.