East Anglia APUG related group

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Tom Kershaw, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

The title is a bit of a mouthful but I thought I'd start a separate thread from the East/Southeast thread to avoid confusion, not be exclusive to black & white, and possibly prompt more interest in a local and / or regional meet up(s). Phill Dresser and Spencer Taylor have expressed an interest on the other thread, but I know there are many more APUG members in the region....

So if you're interested, perhaps you could think about responding to this thread.

Tom.

2. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll join if you think up a catchier name. EAAPUG? :smile:

3. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A possibility... I'm not sure we need an official title, I guess it depends on how "analogue" you want to be. Personally, I think the agenda should be flexible, in terms of full analogue : hybrid etc.

Tom.

4. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm only kidding. I am fine with the content.

5. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in Ipswich. I'm interested...

6. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great, we might actually be able to organize something.

Tom.

7. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellent ide, Tom. Keep me posted. Work and my expanding family has clipped my wings a bit lately so a local meet-up would be great!

Rob

8. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rob,

I still haven't scanned in the photos from the APUG UK meet up in October 2006! I seem to remember I have a shot of you and also Richard Kelham(sp?). My current thoughts lean towards a daytime get-together, with discussion, print showings, and maybe some photography or practical sessions etc.

Tom.

9. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom

I'm still interested. Lets see if we can get some of the Cambridge crew like Davec101 as well

Phill

10. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bedfordshire too far?

Hi Guys,

I might be interested in the odd meet or three... I am based in Bedfordshire, so could tootle over to you guys in an hour or so. Have campervan - will travel etc.

Let me know what you think?

Mark

11. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mark,

If you don't mind the journey time, I don't see a problem.

Tom.

12. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Journey and meeting up...

Hi Guys - I don't mind the journey at all - it would give me a good excuse to call on an old friend or two at the same time.

Going out on photo jaunts is one of the main reasons I got the campervan in the first place!

Mark

13. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And????????????:sad:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just saw this post, i am up for a meet. Would be nice to see some of you all. Has the meeting place been decided? It would be nice to get some feedback on some of these Polymer Photogravure prints i have been slaving over :smile:

16. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to come ;-))

I have been in a family in Oulton Broad/Lowestoft during my schooldays and we have toured the whole region then... My first visit to Britain about 45 years ago...Great Yarmouth, Norwich, the wonderful cathedral of Ely, Newmarket racing course... Lowestoft, The most Easterly point of the British Isles... Devils Dyke... speed boat racing on the broads...
    Lovely!

17. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I dont want to hijack this post but I just had a thought , if any of you guys local to me are interested in coming down to my house in cambridge at a weekend in the near future that might interesting. I am in no way suggesting that this takes the place of Tom's get together as i would like to go to that aswell.
    One of the the reason being is that i still have my exhibition up of my B/W, Cyanotype prints up for Cambridge Open studios. (Open studios for those that dont know is when members of the public open up their houses/studios to the general public for viewing their 'Art' work.) Maybe have a BBQ etc..

if interested email me or post on here and i can try and move things on.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  18. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If this would be a group that welcomes hybrid colour work, I'd be interested in joining. I'm in East Kent.

Regards,

David

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry all about no reply, I've been meaning to post a message for a week or so... In response to David H B, I have absolutely no objection to hybrid work, and that is partly why I wrote 'APUG related', rather than East Anglia Monochrome - Analogue Only'...

Davec101, thanks for your interest, that sounds like a good idea if you still have an exhibition up.

There seems to be two points of interest, one centered around Cambridge, and another around Norwich.

Tom.

20. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    @Davec101

I noticed your open studio in the listings, but was in the New Forest at the time. I have a heavy printing schedule, but would be keen to pay a visit.

21. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    two meets...

I wouldn't mind seeing some of those Cyanotypes - having read about Open Studios - I would like to be a nuisance and pop in if you don't mind - but also will happily troll along to the other suggested meet. As discussed before.

My future get together dates are getting a little congested though - so would anyone like to suggest some physical dates shortly Shirley?

Mark

22. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    To move things on a bit, If i just put down some dates please email or post to say that you would like to come to the Cambridge 'meet'. At the moment i am free the weekends of Saturday 25th-26th August, and Saturday 8th-9th September. After that i get rather busy. The date where most people can come will be the obvious choice to choose.

To aviod any confusion from the start my cyanotype work is hybrid i.e shot on film,scanned, output to transparency, then printed using cyanotype senistiser on watercolour paper. i think most people know that but just wanted to make it clear. My work is moving more into that realm at the moment, Of late i have been trying out Polymer Photogravure, another hybrid technique, which creates stunning prints when done correctly, but can be very frustraiting like most alt processes!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007
  23. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    8-9th September for me Dave if that is ok?

24. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just an update. Ian Leake has confirmed that he would like to attend the cambridge meet up. He is going to bring along some of his beautiful platinum prints and talk a bit about the platinum workshops that he might be doing in the near future. I for one have been looking forward to seeing his work.

25. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This does sound interesting, and a very kind offer of David's - I would definitely like to see your exhibition, David.

I'm not sure that I can make either of the dates though! If not, maybe the next time. I'll let you know.

I have no objection to hybrid work, indeed I'd like someone to explain digital negs to me !! (in two easy sentences.....).

edit- just to clarify, that wasn't entirely serious! And I do appreciate even it were possible to explain in two sentences people may not wish to have such issues discussed (which is a bit different from showing prints).

26. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same here for me. Next week is not good but Sept is :smile:

Phill