Ebay Poor-attacked on all sides by GAS-Dick the matchboy struggles..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Kino, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a Victorian novel, but its true.

I am an Ebay addict.

I can't stop buying ultra cheap cameras; God help me.

It's not just Ebay though; GAS rears its ugly head in the strangest places.

"Say, a friend said you still shoot film", looking me over like a Hare Krishna in a Baptist Convention, "Wanna buy a camera?" the man says as he shoves a near mint Yashica TLR toward me. "My son bought it in a garage sale and lost interest in it. He just wants the $5 back he has in it; interested?"

*BOOM* the sound of the sound barrier being broke as I grab for my wallet.

I WAS thinning out my collection, but now I look up and it has GROWN.

*SIGH*

How can you turn down a Konica FT-1 motor drive 35mm SLR with 28mm f2.8 Super Lentar for, yes this is true, 99 cents!

I am thinking of being buried with my cameras and eliminating some GAS when I die (in more ways that one). My wife will, no doubt, concur, but she is just as guilty, bringing home lonely TLRs and rangefinders for me to shelter.

What an age to live in !

Frank

2. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have 4 slrs, 1 canon fd, 1 eos digital, konica autoreflex t, pentax sp500

3. AeisLugh

AeisLugh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Damn, I wish I was lucky enough to get deals like that.

LoL, if you wanted to do something with those cameras, you could always start a travelling camera group. After all, you only paid 99 cents for the camera, why not share it around lol.

Not that I wouldn't blame you for saying "no way" lol, never known anyone to let those good deals go. often those particular items are more of a trophey than the ones you pay full price for. all those bragging rights lol

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm like that with darkroom equipment. I've got this room in the house that is supposed to be a study. The walls are lined with bookshelves and there was once a place to sit and read. I currently have 4 enlargers in there, easels out the kazoo, 24 cameras of various types, boxes of paper, piles of prints, mats, bags, etc, and who the hell knows what else. I know people who know that I like camera gear and they hunt me down when they find darkroom gear being disposed of and hell, I just can't let it hit the land fill...

I've sold some of it here, but there is so much that I *might* need at some point that I hate to part with it. The result is that my study has a narrow, winding path through whats looks like photo version of Sanford and Son's yard. It's OK though, I can stop whenever I want, and I might NEED that stuff when I get time to do more...

- Randy

P.S. Almost forgot! There is a giant light table in there that I got for a song. Too bad I can't work my way over to it right now...

5. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank, are you bemoaning your fate or boasting?

Perhaps its time for a potlatch. You and a couple of other guys with too many cameras can compete. Who destroys more value wins.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

6. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan,

I bit of both, I guess. I love the bargains, but damn, it sends me down a path of GAS I was trying to tame.

Yes, it is a shallow, insipid complaint; I am amazed to be voicing it as much as you are probably irritated to read it.

In another aspect, I marvel at what can be had for such paltry sums. As a kid of 13, I worked all Summer for a 35mm SLR; now, I buy them with pocket change that wouldn't buy a cup of coffee.

We are either in a short-duration, Golden Age where we can acquire all the photo gear we ever lusted after, or are wallowing in filthy excess that goes on forever (bet the former not the latter); I can't seem to make up my mind to be happy or wary.

Guess I am definitely the "glass half-empty" crowd.

OK, I'm over it.

But seriously, doesn't anyone else feel the same?

How much of your drive to photography is GAS and how much is the craft/art? Does cheap equipment cheapen the experience for you?

If your gear was essentially worthless in value to the rest of the World, would you care?

Sorry, just gathering wool; if it upsets you, don't respond.

Frank

7. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Frank,

First you have to recognize that you do not have a problem. You have been chosen, as have many of us, to assume the tireless responsibilities of "Camera Preservationist".

We CP's provide shelter and care for a vast number of otherwise unwanted, neglected cameras. We perform a valuable service including keeping all of those cameras from a lonely forgotten existence in the back of the top shelf of someone's hall closet. Even more so, we are true environmentalists, keeping this gear from being consigned to landfills.

So take pride in your chosen role as a CP. And, since your wife is similarly blessed - you might want to consider adding on a couple of rooms to help you maitain your responsibilities as a pair of CPs! :smile:

Regards,
    George

8. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

By George, I think you've got it!

Dilemma solved! :wink:

9. sunnyroller

sunnyroller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was at an antique mall the other day and was speaking to a gentleman that collects cameras. He told me had over 500 different cameras. I got to asking him about specific makes/models and if he were interested in selling certain ones. I wanted to get his info. but did not have a pen or paper. He said he had a card in his car and supposedly went to get it but he never came back in. I must of scared him with my fervor. I think he is the kind who acquires them to put them on a shelf not to actually run film through them. He told me he had 2 Deardorfs he would never think of selling. I must have creeped him out :smile:. My sister-in-law said I had a crazed look in my eye and was drooling when he told me about his collection.

Sunny

10. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think this is like the old joke about the guy who went to the psychiatrist because his memory was bad and he kept losing umbrellas. The psychiatrist said he could treat him, but it would be cheaper if he just kept on losing umbrellas!

In the present age, GAS in the form you have it is cheaper than drinking beer! The only downside is of course that it slowly fills your house with cameras, but with a crash diet (sell-off) every now and again you should be fine. You can have as much fun with cheap cameras as those deadly serious Leica collectors who pay $1,000s for obscure accessories!

11. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I am recovering! I have about 20 different cameras around here (most garage sale rescue efforts ranging from garbage to conversation piece to a Nikon FG that I use as a walk around all the time), and I have managed this resolve:
    No more actual cameras from eBay. And I am sticking to it! I am!

Of course, its because I am hunting for lenses:smile:

Peter.

12. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Caon you find me some pentax screwmounts?

13. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is always a bunch on eBay. Some of them are really, really neat - and cheap, too! I am always tempted to get some for my Zenit. Just go to eBay and look - its easy... too easy....

Peter.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, Frank, my downfall has been lenses, not camera bodies. I acquire lenses for a variety of reasons:

-- It is poorly documented and I want to know what it is/can do. For example, my f/7.7 Boyer "S << 1/1 >>" that turned out to be a 210 Beryl S, a 6/2 Dagor-type. Totally unheard-of, even after I learned its name. OK lens, though.

-- It will fill a gap. My 420 Apo Nikkor, fits nicely between the 360 and 480 I already had.

-- It may be usefully better than a lens I already have. 10.16"/9 Taylor Hobson Copying Lens, turned out to be much much better than the 250/5.6 Tele-Optar I no longer have.

-- Fodder for discussion. To test the generally held belief that uncoated old lenses are trash, I've been acquiring uncoated f/6.3 Tessars, some pre-1914. Short answer, within the f/6.3 Tessar's coverage there's no need for coating or a more modern design.

-- To be outrageous. That was my 6"/1.9 Dallmeyer Super Six. This is a fast normal lens for 4x5, not a telephoto lens for 35 mm. Try to imagine that monstrosity on a 2x3 Speed Graphic.

-- As a speculation. Bought below market with resale in mind. 80/6.3 WF Ektar. I've had one for years, its a fine lens; bought the second for very little, sold it.

-- Because its cute, no other reason needed.

My "drive to photography" is about capturing images that I want to retain and share with others. My "drive to acquire gear" doesn't have a lot to do with that, except that I do buy some lenses for use. Think fill gaps, get a better one. I think I'm about to stop acquiring lenses except for the "old lenses, bad lenses" polemic and to satisfy curiosity.

Unlike the characters who accumulate fixed lens leaf-shutter 35 mm rangefinder cameras, I don't acquire more and more of essentially the same damned thing. I get more and more different damned things.

My lenses are, for the most part, worthless to the rest of the world. That is, their prices were low. Otherwise I couldn't have afforded them. So what? They shoot well, do what I want them to do, help me take the pictures I want to take.

I'm grateful to the many people who failed to see that the lenses I bought at low prices are great treasures. A good lens is a good lens. A good lens at a low price is better still. Snagging mine has given me a little of that narsty "I see reality better than you do" sensation. Very pleasant sensation, faintly shameful.

Cheers,

Dan

16. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aside from my RB67 (which was under 300$) , I've never spent more than 50$ for an old camera, the only one being from ebay was my wife's Mamiya C3 TLR.

I currently have.

[​IMG]

Mamiya C3 TLR w/ 105mm (owned by my wife, I had to get my own body)
    Mamiya C33 TLR w/ 65mm
    Zeiss Ikon Contina LK (1964-66)
    Argus C3 (~1948 - 1955, the number of C3 vary in little things)
    Kodak Pony 135 (1957)

[​IMG]

Kodak Instamatic 104 Outfit

[​IMG]

Spartus "35F" Model 400

[​IMG]

Kodak No.1 Junior Autographic (1914)

[​IMG]

Canon FTb w/ 50mm 1.8 S.C. (And 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C. around here, and Tamron Adaptall 70-210)

Nishika N8000 3-D Camera

Minolta X-370 w/ 50mm f/1.7

[​IMG]

Nettar 515 6x4.5 Folding Camera (1937)

Seagull TLR

Mamiya RB67 w/ 90mm f/3.8C, 180mm f/4.5

And others such as (some my wife owns)
    Zenit-11 35mm SLR
    Mamiya DTL-1000 35mm SLR
    Kodak Duaflex
    Kodak Box Brownie D and E

I swear I'm still missing something.

Anyways all of those above with the exception of the RB67 (and the Mamiya C3 + 65mm + 105mm + light meter) , I paid no more than 10$ for any of them, and they all work perfectly fine, and has been tested if I dont shoot it often.

17. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh the real pickle is when you work in a camera shop with all the old vintage cameras, live in a city that has over a thousand garage sales in a weekend, familiar with keh, and have a wife that will kill your boss if he doesnt sell her the Mamiya C330f with the 80mm that just came in.

18. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL.

Heh, that's a nice collection!

I can't imagine dragging my junk heap out to photograph it; not that there aren't some beauties in there, but the most are like Dan says, fun or interesting or so rare no one knows they are rare...

Good to hear there are others who operate the same way.

19. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great post, Dan!

Well spoken; you've managed to eloquently explain a few sentiments I have never put into words.

And I have found that, some GAS is (wait for it) more noble than others.

Frank

20. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Frank, I think that your assessment is correct. An incredible amount of stuff is simply being thrown out. Only a percentage appears on the bay, and for a lot of accessory things, true rarity in the future will drive the price up. Age plays a factor also. Inevitably, much of this stuff will wear out, and become very difficult if not impossible to repair. The next several years will be the heyday; I now find it possible to get quality stuff that 30 years ago I drooled over but could not afford for a song and dance. And even some of the time the ability to sell it to someone else at a profit!!!

21. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Say, Kino, I can help, a little -- PM me if you want to get rid of that Yashica TLR for what you paid, plus shipping... :wink:

22. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speaking as a recovering sufferer of G.A.S. Frank, having spent a far larger proportion of my salery than I should on buying the stock of the camera stores I managed for many years, instead of selling it , I can tell you it only takes your bank to bounce a few of your cheques to start you on the road to recovery

23. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Donald,

Oh, that one is a keeper! ;-) but should I run across a similar deal that displaces, replaces or surpluses this one, you've got it! Outside of some real cheapies, it's the only real medium format camera I have.

Mind you, I didn't mean to imply that it is raining Hassleblads, but gear is certainly a bargain today compared to just a few years ago...

24. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that is a rude wake-up call...

25. eubielicious

eubielicious Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would be like that but budget is very constrained at the moment, what with a wedding and house move in the offing... I just keep looking at the 'next' thing I want to see what I can find - at the moment they are a) a Bronica ETRS and b) a longer lens for my Speed Graphic (was looking at an Ektar 203mm lens before it went out of my price range!).

I'm open to offers if any collectors need the space!!!!!!!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Euan

26. pandino

pandino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another case of acute GAS

Frank,
    I can soooooo relate. I actually created a database to keep track of my cameras. I just did a query and was a little shocked to see that I've acquired 23 cameras since Jan 1. :surprised:

I can't shoot film fast enough to use them all. I think it's time to cull the herd. Wanna buy a camera? :wink: