eBay spoof email doing rounds

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by livemoa, Nov 16, 2004.

1. livemoa

livemoa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thought this is the best spot to post this.

There is a spoof email doing the rounds at the moment with the header "Security Notice" It asks you to log in to eBay via a link in the email or they will suspend your membership. Looks fishy to me, have reported it to eBay.

2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got hit with a paypal one the other day. They say you need to update your info and the url even says paypal.com -but if you mouseover this url you will see the real url in the bottom of your browser points to a bogus site. the site even looked like a real paypal site. It made me sick to think how many people would be getting ripped off by this :sad:

3. livemoa

livemoa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tell me about it. Infinite oppurtunities to rip people of.

This one stood out owing to some "English as a second language" characteristics.

4. Melanie

Melanie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HI
    I got one from paypal also, and that same day received one from a bank card company that i do not use any more. promptly e-mailed paypal and then called the bank and reported the email, bankcard said that it was going around, and to just delete it. paypal and banks do not ask you for any sensitive info on line but some people get scared and reply to it anyway. and that is what these low lifes are counting on.

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you get these from paypal, just forward the complete message to spoof@paypal.com and they do what ever it is they do, there has also been a number of these that look like there from ebay as well, just forward to spoof@ebay.com

They have actually caught a couple of these jokers as of late.

Dave

6. mark

mark Member

Cool. I always thought those reporting sites were to to make people think ebay and paypal were doing something.

7. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, so did I - until I started making a habit of forwarding those bogus emails! They won't tell you if they caught the bastards, but they do take this crap seriously - VERY seriously.

Just be sure you forward the complete headers. Even though most of these jokers forge the headers, it helps Paypal (ebay, whatever) develop patterns that these idiots use.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they say to turn the headers into long headers so they can see the routing info. some of the crafty spammers actually do something so when you do long headers - it turns all the info into unreadable garbage.

i run a mac, the long headers - >> view > message > long headers

9. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The iP that the links go to can be somewhat helpful.

I got a scam that I was able to trace back to a not-for-profit spiritual healing clinic in Ohio-- most of the IPs pointed toward East European or South American servers.

10. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have two email address, one thru hotmail and a private one just used for my family. I notice that all this crap comes to my hotmail address. My attitude is that, if you get something from Ebay or PayPal that doesn't involve a recent winning bid you can bet your dog it's bogus. They don't seem to contact you for hardly any other reason. The last one was to change your ID so your "EMAIL ADDRESS" doesn't show. I started reporting every one I got, and it seemed like I was doing it every week. Now I just delete them.