Ebay, what is going on?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by kjsphoto, Nov 9, 2005.

1. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I dont know about you all but I have started to use ebay to market and sell my images on their site.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/mainstreet/

This is really bothersome. If these types of law passes even the gallery Sean is trying to start here would get screwed.

Here are a few snips. You should read the link.

This would kill small businesses big time.

Our gov is getting completely out of control. It is getting more expensive to live-in the US and we get nothing for our tax dollars except get screwed by paying for programs we did not want, etc...

Just thought I would share this totally irritating.

2. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like much else about a place such as ebay such requirements are impossible to enforce. -Bob

3. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the same government grab for money that has gone on for years - they have made noises about regulating flea markets and rummage sales in the US over the decades, but have rarely been successful. I think it's a good idea for ebay to notify sellers of potential legislation - that's the time to nip it in the bud.

I think the most dangerous is the sales tax issue. States see themselves as losing millions of dollars. The big issue for a seller is how do you know what tax to charge. Here in Florida almost every city has a different tax. If we're going to be stuck with sales taxes, it seems to me the only way ebay sellers, and small market sellers such as many of our suppliers, can keep up with what tax to charge is to charge the tax applicable in their local community.
    juan

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    States have been trying to collect state sales tax on out-of-state mail order sales for ages. Since that would be an interstate commerce issue, it would require federal legislation, and practically it would be very difficult and costly. Would each state have its own customs department to intercept out-of-state shipments or goods brought across state borders? This is what the commerce clause was designed to prevent.

5. gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a phishing trap and a fraudulent site.

Send an email to spoof@ebay.com and ask them if it is for real before even replying to this post.

Soneone should lock this tread, thanks mods.

6. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ebay Mainstreet, is an actual ebay site owned by ebay...

Here is the contact information for them:

Domain Name.......... ebaymainstreet.com
    Creation Date........ 2004-09-25
    Registration Date.... 2004-09-25
    Expiry Date.......... 2006-09-25
    Organisation Name.... eBay
    Organisation Address. 2145 Hamilton Avenue
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. San Jose
    Organisation Address. 95125
    Organisation Address. CA
    Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... eBay Inc.
    Admin Address........ 2145 Hamilton Avenue
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ San Jose
    Admin Address........ 95125
    Admin Address........ DC
    Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
    Admin Email.......... **********@ebay.com
    Admin Phone.......... 408 376-7400
    Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ Shabbir or Dan Solomon Safdar
    Tech Address......... 1025 Vermont Avenue, NW
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address......... Washington
    Tech Address......... 20005
    Tech Address......... DC
    Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
    Tech Email........... ****************@mindshare.net
    Tech Phone........... 202-654-0800
    Tech Fax.............
    Name Server.......... ns1.secure.net
    Name Server.......... ns2.secure.net

7. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it is phishing: the domain is registered to ebay and there is a link "Government Relations" at the bottom of the ebay.com home page that re-directs you to the site.

Cheers, Bob.

8. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I shouldn't worry, just buy & sell on ebay sites outside of the USA.

9. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Governments need money to operate, to pay benefits, fix roads etc. I wouldn't doubt that what you'll see is a law required of sellers to collect tax and pay it to their local collection agencies. As a buyer the tax rate would then be put at the bottom of the ad. Most normal businesses collect it now and the question is, how long will government be willing to look the other way as billions of dollars of goods are sold without a tax being paid? The U.S. and many States are in debt to their eyeballs and something has to change. The politicians are not going to curb their spending ways, States will want to pay for benefit programs, medication supplements, diaster relief etc. I say that regardless of the complexity it will have to be addressed and probably sooner then later. Because of the current state of affairs in the Capital now, you can expect things to settle and probably not be taken up till after the next Presidential election. If the fundamentalist (Republicans) get in office again, you probably could expect it to be an immediate issue; They will start to cry poor as taxes are cut for the rich. It's certainly not an issue to be explored before an election. Look for background rumblings of bills being drafted.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its been my understanding that if you run a business, and sell things "mail order" or from a website, using ebay, yard sales, or even sell your car off of your front lawn, you are supposed to be collecting in-state sales tax. this isn't really anything new or different from what has been going on for a long, long-time.

11. moose10101

moose10101 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And you base this conclusion on ...?

12. skillian

skillian Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    jnanian is absolutely right - assuming you have no employees in another state or other factors that would create a nexus issue. Long term, some states are banding together in an effort to lobby for a national sales tax to help recoup the money they are losing to out of state purchases. However, this will be an unhill fight.

13. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We don't have to pay taxes on what we sell here in Montana, there is no sales tax and they don't gather taxes on goods sold either...

Dave

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    sales taxes on web purchases/sales

Merchants have to collect sales taxes on items sold in person within the state, or on web sales delivered to in-state addresses. They have no authority to collect sales taxes on items delivered to out-of-state residents--since taxing the crap out of interstate commerce is (supposed to be) the purview of our solons in Congress. At least that's how it is here in Kentucky.

Some states,like Kentucky also have a "use tax", whereby residents are supposed to report their out-of-state purchases and pay tax on them. You can imagine what the level of voluntary compliance is with this law.

Efforts are indeed underfoot in Congress to standardize sales taxes across thousands of jurisdictions in the US. Not only do tax rates vary by locality (KY has a uniform 6% sales tax collected at the state level and then distributed to localities), but which items are taxable also differs widely. For example, KY taxes shipping charges on items you buy; other states add the shipping charges after taxing only the actual items. It's a nightmarishly confusing morass. A further example of why our current tax system is just idiotic, combined as it is with ham-fisted attempts at social engineering.

Given the billions in taxes uncollected, and the politicians' voracious appetites for more of our dollars to spend buying the votes of us idiots who keep putting people in office who promise to bring us home the bacon we work 5 months of the year to pay for, it's only a matter of time until this is worked out. Then it'll be only a matter of who collects the tax and to whom the proceeds are sent.

Count on it.

16. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What would Montana do with the $$ anyway? Don't Hollywood types with 2nd homes pay for everything including coats for the endangered caribou?
    :smile:

17. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format

The biggest problem is the Hollywood types DON'T pay their taxes!! so the state is always trying to throw something new at us, they just published a report and 80% of unpaid taxes are either parttime residents or out of state companies, it amounts to almost 5 billion dollars....and they say it is too expensive to try and collect, so who do you think they are trying to get to make up the difference!!!!

Dave

18. dtomasula

dtomasula Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave,

That's not necessarily so. Anyone can put whatever they want into the domain name server data section. Not much checking of authenticity is done.

Like mentioned previously, I'd email eBay and find out if the site is legitimate or not. It might very well be on the level. It never hurts to ask.

19. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    The link is on their website and if you have an account there it us under myebay right at the top. And congress has been tryingto do this so it is not a scam link it is legit. And personally I think it is sickening.

20. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dean,

Ebay is very vigorous on prosucuting people who try to register anything with there name in it, they have done so many times in the past, I can assure you ebaymainstreet is in fact a property owned by ebay, and is a legitimate website.

Dave

21. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmmmm Not Ted Turner huh? :smile:
    (I know, it will be you Dave. If it makes you feel any better I'm paying 7k per year for my tiny slice of surburbia :smile: )

22. gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I sent the site address off to the ebay fraud address last night (about 10 hours ago) and they haven't replied yet. Normally they reply within 1 hour, so its either legit, or something so horrid they are still tracking it down, or they're wondering how someone in Australia recieved the mail and are in meltdown :smile:

Graham

23. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Graham,

It was not an email that Kevin got, it is a website that ebay runs for legislative action here in the states, no email involved in this one. Of course you may get an email from them, if you have signed up for their action alerts.

Dave

24. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The only thing they are asking for is the EBay ID - which is pretty much publicly available anyway. Nothing to worry about here.

25. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahhh I think you've hit on why Graham thought it was bogus. ebay main street is a US site and being down under Graham doesn't have it.

So Graham, relax, put another shrimp on the barbie! :smile:
    -Bob

26. gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bob, but I'm not stupid :smile:

When you enter your Ebay ID at that site you are redirected to the ebay signin page. Ask yourself why they ask you to enter your ID then send you to a signin page which again asks for your ID.

It just feels wrong and that is why I'm asking Ebay to confirm that it is their site.

Graham.