Ebony "viewing" bellows

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JeffD, Jul 25, 2005.

1. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      36.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Frank Petronio

Frank Petronio Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought its purpose was to lighten your heavy wallet?

3. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    After Frank's response, I'm a bit embarrassed to answer this question :smile:

I've got the RW version without the magnifier, and I really like it. It's great for quickly composing with the lens wide open (i.e. when the image on the glass is quite bright). I've also found that it makes using a dark cloth easier because I can wrap the dark cloth around the bellows and get a near perfect light seal (something that always troubles me when the cloth is wrapped around the camera).

I wouldn't say that I can't live without it, but I have found space in my camera bag for it.

4. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently sold my "without" viewer. It works OK, but when I am in a hurry, I generally find no problem using my hands to shade the GG. Ultimately, it's not a complete substitute for a good dark cloth. I either use a darkcloth (BTZS hood - which I'd recommend) or nothing. Contrary to some other user reports, I find the Ebony fresnel more than adequate.

5. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the comments so far. I have a BTZS cloth too, and it does fine. Sometimes I almost feel it is overkill, as I have some pretty fast lenses.

I was thinking it might be nice to mitigate the geek factor of being under the cloth, at least in certain circumstances. Usually, I don't much care.

Looking at the photos, it appears a loupe might be a bit difficult to use with the open bellows, but maybe not.

I have to say, the version with the magnifier seems really appealing- you'd have a very dark area around the ground glass, plus a magnifier which looks like it can be "aimed" around. I'd love to hear from someone who has tried one.

I have a pretty nice Maxwell screen, which seems to be much superior to the Ebony version it came with, which was really not bad. Bill is a family friend, so I was able to trade some computer services for the glass- I think I got a good deal!

6. paul owen

paul owen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In my opinion, NOTHING, can beat a good dark cloth!

7. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I carried a Dark cloth as back up when I used the viewer on my SV.

8. herb

herb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ebony viewing bellows`

I got one from White in the UK-they make one quite like the Ebony and it is cheaper. Last time I looked they had a used one.

I don't use it much, since I agree with the darkcloth crowd. If you are REALLY concerned with focusing, the bellows help if you are using much in the way of movements.