Edwal Blue toner

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BetterSense, Jun 28, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have some of this and my wife wants some blue-toned prints (to match the bathroom naturally). Can I use this to blue-tone RC prints that are already dry? How? All I have is the bottle and I can't find directions online anywhere.

2. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ingredients listed on the MSDS for Edwal toner match those listed in Rudman's book for ANSCO/GAF 241. Basically, this is an iron blue toner. According to Rudman's book, it is used without dilution, but I suppose that would apply if you mix the toner from raw chemicals following the formulary in his book.

You would need to soak the prints first before toning them. Iron toners tend to fade if the print is washed too much (and iron toning is notoriously NOT archival), so in my experience, you tone until you get the color you want, wash the prints briefly, and then dry.

3. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since I don't know the composition of my 4oz bottle of blue toner, I still don't know how much, if any, I should dilute the solution for toning.

5. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format