Effect of Fixer on Toner

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by WolfTales, Sep 8, 2009.

1. WolfTales

WolfTales Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    I have noticed that different kinds of fixers affect the emulsion and therefore how prints are toned.

My experience on RC paper has shown that non hardening fixers tone better but leave the emulsion soft.

And hardening fixers help toughen the emulsion, but leave the tone looking dull, flat, and greyish.

My question is - is it beneficial to fix a print first without a hardener, tone it, and then fix it again with a hardener? Or would one just limit themselves to not hardening whatsoever?

I feel like I want to use a hardener for protection, but can't justify it if it ruins the tone. Found this to be the case with sepia and selenium.

I prefer using RC for now mainly due to price constraints and ease of use.
    Using Ilford Rapid Fixer, standard Kodak Fixer, Kodak Sepia kit and Bergger Selenium.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why bother using a hardening fixer with modern papers? There are AFAIK very few cases where such a thing would be desirable. I have used both RC and FB papers with Kodak's sepia toner and the emulsion wasn't damaged at all.

3. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    there are a few toners that call for fixing with a hardner after the fact, Nelson's gold being one.

however, these days, the recommendation is not to use hardner with a fixer if your going to tone. It seems to have come to that point in your experience

4. WolfTales

WolfTales Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Because it comes included in Kodak's cheapy fixer powder.