EFKE 25 in D-23

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Silverpixels5, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any suggestions for times in this formula? I develop Delta 100 in this brew, but I have a roll of efke 25 that I want to try in this. I usually go for about 3 minutes in each bath, but didnt' know if that would be suitable for this film and speed. Thanks for any advice!

2. Robert

Robert Member

In each bath? So I'm guessing you're using some sort of divided D-23?

3. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Have you checked the mammoth developing chart at www.digitaltruth.com? While they don't have specific information on D-23, it could be used as a sanity check. Or, check Ed Buffaloe's www.unblinkingeye.com for an article on Divided D-23. To me, three minutes in A doesn't sound like enough time.

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Three minutes in each bath sounds about right to me - IF you use D23 with a Borax afterbath (the only version I've tried). You should get a fairly well compensated negative, but may lose almost a stop of speed. But that's why you use it, isn't it?

How does Delta 100 behave in this brew? I have avoided it for years, as I find it too sensitive to small variations in development for a sloppy worker like me. But if it responds well to D23/Borax I might well give it another try?

5. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I"m going to go ahead and try my standard 3 minute routine and see what I get. I use 6 grams of Sodium Metaborate in 500 mL of water as the afterbath, and all my temps are at 75 F

6. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole:

I usually just use Delta 100 for casual snapshots of family and friends, and so I've never really done any tests on it in D-23. But visually I've always been satisfied with the restults. Next time I make up a fresh batch I'll run a few film tests in it and see what I get when varying times. The thing I like about this developer is that it lasts so long. The brew I used last night was a month old and had 10 rolls through it, and it came out great...well at least the negatives look great...i'll try printing them this weekend. I think the capcity of the first bath is something like 20 rolls, but I only do 10-15 and then toss it.